New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Playing MIDI files

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

cheddar-caveman

cheddar-caveman is on a distinguished road

Probably an old potato but how can I get my MacBook Pro to play MIDI files please? I need to download some to learn some music for our Carol concert!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.9.3; iPad Mini iOS 7.1.1;iPhone 3GS 6.1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar-caveman View Post
Probably an old potato but how can I get my MacBook Pro to play MIDI files please? I need to download some to learn some music for our Carol concert!!!
I wish I knew. Previous versions of iTunes (i.e. pre 10.5) allowed conversion. I had hoped to retrieve the old version from my Time Machine but that didn't work.

I really cannot understand why Apple have 'improved' iTunes by removing a useful facility.

It is possible to buy converters but why should we have to? I have a music writing programme called Noteworthy that only works in Windows and will only convert to midi.

In theory it should be possible to write music in Garage Band but I have yet to master how to write a simple score with it!!

Very frustrating.
QUOTE Thanks
hugtheslug

hugtheslug is a jewel in the roughhugtheslug is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2013 MacBook Air i5 13" / MacBook C2D 2.13GHz / iMac G5 iSight 1.9GHz / iMac G5 1.6 GHz / Pismo G4

The first page of results from a Google search mostly seem to lead to this - Sweet Midi Player http://www.ronimusic.com/index.html - a little expensive but I think the trial version should play your files OK.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Hugh

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Warning - this user has only a little knowledge
QUOTE Thanks
Exodist

Exodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the roughExodist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD, dual 23" LED Displays

Quicktime 7 can be downloaded and plays them. If you try to play them through your current version of quicktime it will direct you to the correct version..

NEW!! Exodist Photography Video Blog
***If someone helps you, please don't forget to use the reputation system.***
QUOTE Thanks
Alwyn

Alwyn is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 3.06 GHz Intel Core i3 500 Gb HD OS X 10.9.3; iPad Mini iOS 7.1.1;iPhone 3GS 6.1.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodist View Post
Quicktime 7 can be downloaded and plays them. If you try to play them through your current version of quicktime it will direct you to the correct version..
Most useful. Thanks for the tip. However it is a fact that I used to be able, at no cost, to download midi files to iTunes, probably v10.4, and convert them to AAC. This meant that I could write my voice part and save it to iPhone and learn it. It may be that some copyright issues arose. If so it would be useful if this could be clarified.

Presumably Quick Time 7 Pro can do this but it isn't free.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Getting CD Cover on iTunes? | Restoring music to itunes »