New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Convert wma in bulk?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

peterbj7

peterbj7 is on a distinguished road

This is not an Apple-specific question, though it does apply to my iPad. I have a large amount of music digitally encoded (over 100gb) but sadly much of it was ripped to wma. These wma files are spread throughout my collection. What is the least labour intensive way of converting these to mp3? If I have to select each individual file it won't happen. Ideally I'd like to replace each wma file in situ with an mp3 of comparable quality. For software that definitely works well and does what I want I'll gladly pay, but I won't buy a pig in a poke.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

I should add that my collection is arranged by folder, and I do not want to change that arrangement. I do not use program's like iTunes which order individual files based on meta information and ignore folder structure. In general my music files have no useful meta data.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

I'm not an expert in this area...but have you tried some internet searches with the term "wma to mp3"?

This will at least get you started in the right direction.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

Thanks - I've not found anything that does what I want. All solutions will be incredibly labour intensive.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Have you looked at MediaHuman Audio Converter? I believe this will do exactly what you want for the price of FREE.

MediaHuman Audio Converter - free audio converter for Mac OS X and Windows
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

Sounds ideal! Many thanks. Now to try it.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

Sounds ideal for sure ... but I can't use it. For whatever reason (undisclosed) it won't accept either of my two UK-based payment cards. They say they must have valid card information, though they promise not to charge anything!

So thanks, but no thanks (to Media Human).
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

Oh these crazy people! I've just got my card accepted - by putting in my middle name. Yet they specifically asked for my first name and my last name - no mention of a middle name. Why the heck don't they ask for what they actually want? They're a software company after all - you'd think they understand the importance of strictly precise information!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

What is this about a payment card? The program is free (per my original link).

Oh, you probably mean you donated. Good on you, and even better for sticking with it through the card issue!
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

Although they say there's no charge, they insist on payment card details being inserted. Neither of my UK Visa cards is accepted (contrary to what I thought above) so I can't download or use this software. Clearly they want the card information for more than just possibly collecting payment if I decide to upgrade, but since they don't say there's nothing I can do about it. I smell the NSA somewhere in this.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
Although they say there's no charge, they insist on payment card details being inserted.
As an experiment I tried downloading the app via the link chas_m provided. I had absolutely no problems downloading it. No requests for credit card or payment details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbj7 View Post
I smell the NSA somewhere in this.
Sorry...the "nose" is malfunctioning! No conspiracies here.

- Nick

- Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

How weird! I'm not imagining it, honest. I'll set my VPN so I'm in the USA and try again - before I was "in" the UK.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

With myself "in" the USA it worked perfectly, and no card details were required!

The application itself works well, but doesn't have the automation I wanted - converted files are put together into single standard place, not adjacent to the original files as I would like. So there's still a fair amount of manual effort, because my wma files are contained in upwards of 1000 folders, and that's where I need the mp3 files afterwards.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

That's VERY weird that you got asked for payment details at all. I have a sickening feeling you got "redirected" to a scam site and your cc details are now compromised. I would watch the activity on that card SUPER carefully if I were you.

As for the filing of music -- see this is what iTunes is supposed to do so you don't have to waste all that time managing that manually. If I had a batch of WMAs to convert I would just do them all in one go, then drop the resulting MP3s into iTunes. Boom, sorted by Artist->Album->Song. So easy.
QUOTE Thanks
peterbj7

Thanks for the warning! I'll watch out very carefully. But it SEEMED genuine enough. As to iTunes, I was put off it permanently when I gave a friend some music for her iPod and a lot of it was rejected by the machine as not having valid licensing information. But it was all ripped from my own CDs, which I didn't have with me so I couldn't try again. They played perfectly on VLC, which is what I prefer to use.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Issue with Genius | Online Streaming DJ Apps? »