New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Best Internal HDD for Audio in Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

niallthomas

niallthomas is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 2x2.8 Quad core Xeon OSX 10.8.4

Hi
I am using a Mac Pro with Logic 9 saving to an external LaCie USB HDD. Occasionally, I get a 'Disk too slow error' which is annoying in the middle of a take. Can anyone recommend a fast internal drive. Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

If you're saving your take to the external drive, getting a faster internal drive is not going to help.

A FW 800 external would be vastly superior to a USB 2 external drive.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
niallthomas

Thank you Bobtomay
I wonder if my post was a little unclear. As I am having occasional problems with the external HDD saying it is too slow, I want to do away with the external and put and put a fast internal drive to save all takes to.

Thanks again Any recommendations for a spec that I should be looking for
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Ahh - any internal drive will be waaaayyyy faster than the USB 2.

Personally, I like WD Black drives and should serve you well (and if you have the open slots for them in your Mac Pro, I'd get 2). For your use and particularly if for business, you may want to consider the WD VelociRaptor also.

And are you making regular backups of all your work?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Also look carefully at the drive itself. I was doing some video capture recently with the same setup on both captures. The audio was out of sync on one and fine on the other. The only difference was that one was a 5400 rpm drive and the other a 7200 rpm. There may have been a difference in the write speed I don't remember all of the species.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by niallthomas View Post
Hi
I am using a Mac Pro with Logic 9 saving to an external LaCie USB HDD. Occasionally, I get a 'Disk too slow error' which is annoying in the middle of a take. Can anyone recommend a fast internal drive. Thanks
Do you already have 4 internal drives installed in your Mac Pro (the max. number it can hold)?

If not...I would max. out the internal drive installs before using external drives. Unless you need the external for portability between home & work/school for file transfers.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
niallthomas

Thank you all for your advice. I am going to go for a velociraptor, due to the 10000rpm spin speed
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by niallthomas View Post
Thank you all for your advice. I am going to go for a velociraptor, due to the 10000rpm spin speed
Don't forget. SSD's are wayyyyy faster than any traditional spinning hard drive. So if you REALLY need speed...an SSD is the way to go. Of course SSD's (especially larger capacity SSD's) are VERY expensive (cost/gig of storage)...compared to traditional hard drives.

I didn't see SSD's mentioned in this thread...so I just wanted to mention it...just in case you have an unlimited budget!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
harryb2448

harryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond reputeharryb2448 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i5 2.7GHz, 16GB memory, OS X.10

You will not notice much difference with the Velociraptor from one who has used several. You did say a Mac Pro. Pop a drive in Bays 2, 3 or 4 or is it possible you mean a MacBOOK Pro?

Hang on to those original install discs like grim death! Using OS X.7 or later make a bootable USB thumb drive before running Installer!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logic 9/Reason 5: Any issues with Mountain Lion? | recording webcam videos with soundcard as input »