New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Startup Sounds

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bob m

bob m is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" iMac late 2012, 3TB Fusion drive, with 3.4Ghz Intel core i7 @ 32gig DDR3+ Thunderbold Display

Hi.
New to the Forum & Mac.

Does anyone know if I can switch off the awful tah dah! sound on startup.

OSX 10.8, 27" iMac.

regards,
Bob M.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

StartNinja Download Page

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
bob m

Mac Specs: 27" iMac late 2012, 3TB Fusion drive, with 3.4Ghz Intel core i7 @ 32gig DDR3+ Thunderbold Display

On the site it says....

Note 1: Does not work with iMacs ?

are those old notes!!

regards,
Bob.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

It would appear that it does indeed not work with iMacs.

The simplest solution is to mute the volume before you shutdown. An even simpler solution would be to simply put your machine to sleep when you leave it for extended periods of time.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
It would appear that it does indeed not work with iMacs.
It works with an iMac as well as other Macs. I have a Mid 2011 iMac running Mountain Lion and it works just fine.

to the OP:

Besides, since it's free what have you got to lose by trying it?
QUOTE Thanks
cradom

cradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant futurecradom has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21in iMac core2 Duo- 13in macbook - 10.9 on both

Do you use external speakers? If so there is a simple fix for that.

Craig Domingue - resident redneck.
“Never argue with an idiot. He will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.”, George Carlin
QUOTE Thanks
bob m

Gents.
I cannot get it to work on OSX 10.8.4 unfortunately, and I am using the late 2012 iMac 27" with built in speakers.

Thanks for your ideas though..
regards,
Bob M.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It works with an iMac as well as other Macs.
Hmmm, interesting. I wonder why the developer says that on their webpage then.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know Van, it does work on my iMac and has for some time. Also, if I remember correctly we had another thread asking the same thing. The OP tried it on his iMac and it worked OK. Perhaps it doesn't work on the current generation of iMacs?
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Follow up.... I just tested it again and it works great on my iMac. I can turn the startup sound on and off from the Startup Ninja dialog.

I have no idea why the developer says it doesn't work except that he may be referring to the current (2012) iMac. My iMac is the mid 2011 model.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

Shouldn't plugging the tip of a headset, 3.5 mm male tip into the headphone jack mute the speakers. If you don't like the wire being present the plugs are cheap. Or can be made by cutting the wire from an old headset and using the tip.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
It works with an iMac as well as other Macs. I have a Mid 2011 iMac running Mountain Lion and it works just fine.

to the OP:

Besides, since it's free what have you got to lose by trying it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Hmmm, interesting. I wonder why the developer says that on their webpage then.
I remember having this conversation with Charlie quite a while ago, and it certainly does work on iMacs

As to the OP problem, its a simple 1finger Tap on the MUTE button, before you shut down and 1 finger tap on the MUTE when its up and running.

The thing is, THAT sound is essential to the start up of the Mac, and its important to hear as it lets you know that your Mac is running as it should be. Its when you dont hear it on start up, that you should start to worry that there is something up with the machine.

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

dotdotdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.9.2 (12C60)

You can use a free app called Cocktail which as a provision to shut that nonsense off.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

Cocktail is not free. It costs $14 to register and will shut itself down after the 10th time you use it unless you buy a license. Also where does it say it will turn off the startup sound?

It actually does some of the same things that OnyX does except OnyX is really free.
QUOTE Thanks
dotdotdot

dotdotdot is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" 2.5 i5 8G RAM OS X 10.9.2 (12C60)

It's free. Believe me, I am too cheap to buy something like that. I don't have it now becasue I did a wipe and reinstall of the OS last week.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« recording webcam videos with soundcard as input | iTunes Match: copy file over? »