New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

transfer itunes library

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hotrod351

hotrod351 is on a distinguished road

not sure if im in the right section but here goes. i want to transfer my itunes library form my 2006 macpro desktop with lion to my wifes new 2006 macbook pro with snowleopard. ive tried migration assistant but it says i cant transfer because snow leopard is a older version that what im transferring from. thinking about it that makes sense. but there has to be a way without upgrading to lion, which might not be a bad thing, but i figure it might be done. ive already made a copy of all my songs and put in a folder which i can simply put in snowleopard, but then they will have to be organized again. any suggestions.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Home Sharing - link

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
khcrazy10

khcrazy10 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 with 16 GB DDR3 Ram running OS X 10.8.4 Mountain Lion

Here's what I'd do since I'm assuming you want to clone your library rather than simply sharing it over a network:

Copy your entire iTunes folder and transfer it to the Music folder on the other computer. If you run into a problem opening iTunes, then follow these instructions to downgrade the iTunes Library.itl file. Alternatively you can download a new version of iTunes if it's compatible.

Because snow leopard is an older OS, it's possible you may not be able to update iTunes to the current version, in which case you'd be looking at downgrading. If iTunes doesn't automatically recognize your iTunes library folder, then start up iTunes while holding down option and choose the folder manually.

Note that iTunes will recognize your library folder as the IDENTICAL library as the computer it started on. Even iPods and iOS devices that were set to automatically sync with the library will still work.
QUOTE Thanks
hotrod351

hotrod351 is on a distinguished road

well i just copied it to a flash drive and installed. ill have to go threw them and sort them back out, oh well something to do.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Internal system sounds playing through headphones AND internal mic. | iTunes Changes Customized Genres On It's Own »