New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

HATING iTunes right now (please HELP!)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jt1968

jt1968 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 15" Retina, 8GB RAM, 250GB SSD, Intel i7 2.3GHz.

I have the latest version of iTunes on my MBP, and I have nearly 2,000 songs in my library, ALL of which I can access and play within iTunes. However, I can only copy 889 of those songs to my iPhone.....what the hell???

My entire iTunes library is stored on an external HDD, and iTunes knows where to find it.

All of the songs in my library were either downloaded from the iTunes store (about 300 or so), and the rest were burned from CDs which I own. I have no "pirated" music.

The "On This iPhone" screen says there are 1944 songs on the iPhone, but there are really only 890 songs (I checked under Settings/General/About on the iPhone). iTunes is reporting 6.15GB free on my iPhone, but the iPhone itself is reporting 13.6GB free.

I just want to copy my entire iTunes music library to my iPhone - how can I do this??? Do I have to wipe my phone and re-install everything?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 5s 64GB / iPad 4th Gen. 64GB / iPad Mini 2 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

In the Music app(on your iPhone) on the Songs page, right at the bottom the a count? which figure does this match with?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

I waited a few days, then tried again. It seems to have copied all of the music over to the iPhone this time. I didn't do anything differently, so who knows what the initial problem was.

I noticed, though, that album artwork for many albums were not copied over to the iPhone, even though the artwork is present in iTunes. I can live with this, but if anyone knows why this is happening, and how to fix it, I would be happy to know.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
iPhone 5s 64GB / iPad 4th Gen. 64GB / iPad Mini 2 64GB / MacBook Pro 15" w/ Retina Display
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Which version of iTunes?
Which version of iOS?
How was the artwork added?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

Latest iTunes (11.0.4) on a MBP 15" Retina,
Latest iOS (6.1.4) on an iPhone 5,

The missing artwork is from albums for which I had to download a photo of it, and then attach it to each song in the album using the "Get Info" edit menu item within iTunes.

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

jt: I haven't tested this, but the fact that you noticed that the album art that didn't carry over was from album YOU added artwork to suggests to me that the method you used only adds the artwork to the iTunes db, not to the actual song file.

Using the "get info" in iTunes, did you drag in the artwork or copy/paste? Or some other method?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Drag and drop into get info definitely works ok. Practically did my whole library like that.

I've seen this happen when the database on the phone gets messed up.

Try syncing with music sync unticked. Hard reset the phone (hold sleep and home til it reboots).

Restart you Mac then resync with music sync on

QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
jt: I haven't tested this, but the fact that you noticed that the album art that didn't carry over was from album YOU added artwork to suggests to me that the method you used only adds the artwork to the iTunes db, not to the actual song file.

Using the "get info" in iTunes, did you drag in the artwork or copy/paste? Or some other method?
Under the "Artwork" tab, I clicked on "Add". I noticed that if I did that for just 1 song in an album, the photo would be added only to that song, so I did it for every song.

QUOTE Thanks
jt1968

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Drag and drop into get info definitely works ok. Practically did my whole library like that.

I've seen this happen when the database on the phone gets messed up.

Try syncing with music sync unticked. Hard reset the phone (hold sleep and home til it reboots).

Restart you Mac then resync with music sync on
I will try this and see what happens. Thanks!

[EDIT]: OK, I tried the above idea, but it didn't work - still no artwork for the same music albums

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Try this:

1. Select all the songs in the album you want to add artwork to.
2. Get info on them (as a group)
3. Drag in the artwork you want to use

That will add the artwork to all the selected songs in one go (you can change other "common" info like the year of release etc en masse this was as well).

I don't know that that will solve your sync problem for sure, but it will definitely save you time adding artwork!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Improving my sound on my Mac | Internal system sounds playing through headphones AND internal mic. »