New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Importing while converting aWMA. file into Garageband

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Dogbreath

Dogbreath is a jewel in the roughDogbreath is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Hi All . . . I tried in vain to work this out on my own, but I need some help. I have a wma. file on my desktop. I need to convert it to a file type Garageband can use. I was going to use Apple lossless, but it doesn't have to be that particular one. Then I need to import it into Garageband for editing. Do I need to import while converting this file into iTunes first? Could someone tell me step by step how to accomplish this? The HELP features in both iTunes and Garageband weren't so helpful to me. Thank you in advance.

Thanks,
Brent
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If the WMA file in question isn't DRM-protected, you can use this: MediaHuman Audio Converter - free audio converter for Mac OS X and Windows

If the WMA is DRM-protected, throw it away and re-buy it from iTunes or Amazon -- nothing is going to convert or properly play such a file.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Mac Specs: mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display

Thanks chas_m . . . It is a soundtrack I recorded on my Windows computer at work, put on a flash drive, and loaded onto my Mac Desktop. Flip4Mac plays it just fine. All instructions I found in iTunes HELP made it sound like I could open iTunes and drag the sound file into the iTunes window and the sound file would be converted as it was being imported. This never worked. The file "bounces" right back to the Desktop. I was hoping I already had something capable of converting this file. I am checking out chas_m's recommendation for now. Thanks . . . . Brent
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

iTunes on the Mac cannot convert WMA files. It can handle WAV, AIFF, MP3 and other standards but not proprietary things like WMA. Thus the need for a third-party converter, luckily it's free.
QUOTE Thanks
Dogbreath

Thanks chas_m, I downloaded the MediaHuman Audio Converter per your recommendation. It worked very well. It was basic, simple to use, and free...although I'm going back to the site on payday and make a donation because I appreciate the developer's efforts.
I successfully imported the converted track into Garageband and did the editing. I am a happy music man.

I can now recommend MediaHuman Audio Converter to anyone needing to convert various media files. Check out the link chas_m provided in his post above...(thanks again, chas_m). There are several more interesting apps listed in that same link. Check 'em out!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best way to make MP3 for playing on non-Macs? | New to Garageband, VERY Frustrated! »