Specs:
    mid 2010 Mac Mini OS 10.6.8 (SL), 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
    Importing while converting aWMA. file into Garageband
    Hi All . . . I tried in vain to work this out on my own, but I need some help. I have a wma. file on my desktop. I need to convert it to a file type Garageband can use. I was going to use Apple lossless, but it doesn't have to be that particular one. Then I need to import it into Garageband for editing. Do I need to import while converting this file into iTunes first? Could someone tell me step by step how to accomplish this? The HELP features in both iTunes and Garageband weren't so helpful to me. Thank you in advance.

Thanks,
    Brent

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    If the WMA file in question isn't DRM-protected, you can use this: MediaHuman Audio Converter - free audio converter for Mac OS X and Windows

If the WMA is DRM-protected, throw it away and re-buy it from iTunes or Amazon -- nothing is going to convert or properly play such a file.

Specs:
    Thanks chas_m . . . It is a soundtrack I recorded on my Windows computer at work, put on a flash drive, and loaded onto my Mac Desktop. Flip4Mac plays it just fine. All instructions I found in iTunes HELP made it sound like I could open iTunes and drag the sound file into the iTunes window and the sound file would be converted as it was being imported. This never worked. The file "bounces" right back to the Desktop. I was hoping I already had something capable of converting this file. I am checking out chas_m's recommendation for now. Thanks . . . . Brent

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    iTunes on the Mac cannot convert WMA files. It can handle WAV, AIFF, MP3 and other standards but not proprietary things like WMA. Thus the need for a third-party converter, luckily it's free.

Specs:
    Thanks chas_m, I downloaded the MediaHuman Audio Converter per your recommendation. It worked very well. It was basic, simple to use, and free...although I'm going back to the site on payday and make a donation because I appreciate the developer's efforts.
    I successfully imported the converted track into Garageband and did the editing. I am a happy music man.

I can now recommend MediaHuman Audio Converter to anyone needing to convert various media files. Check out the link chas_m provided in his post above...(thanks again, chas_m). There are several more interesting apps listed in that same link. Check 'em out!

Thread Information