New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Music and data cd's won't load or play

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BerettaMan

BerettaMan is on a distinguished road

Just wondering if any one would know why when I load a data cd or music cd it won't play automatically. Dvd's work fine. I checked my settings with my wife's settings and they are the same. Her's works fine.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

When you insert a music CD and it shows up on your desktop, right click on it and select "Open With". Choose an application from the list and set it as the default. The application will likely be iTunes. A data CD is not going to "play" automatically as it first has to be opened to show which data you wish to view. (Unless you're referring to something else.)
QUOTE Thanks
BerettaMan

Hi chscag, The disc icon doesn't show up on my desktop. I'll pop the disc in and the drive will make a few clicks then it spits the cd back out. My music cd's won't play any more and it won't let me load the Turbo Tax disc. I used to be able to just pop the discs in and they would automatically open.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

What Mac? You might have a dirty lens, try to blow some compressed air into the slot/tray or use a lens cleaning CD to see if that will resolve it for you..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

I agree with the above suggestion. Your problem is not with the software or system, it's mechanical. Either the drive lens is dirty or the drive itself is defective in which case it needs to be replaced. Or, you can buy an inexpensive external USB tray loading drive and use it instead.
QUOTE Thanks
BerettaMan

I-Mac. Found my lens cleaner. Let me give that a whirl. Be right back.
QUOTE Thanks
BerettaMan

Negative on the lens cleaning.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

How old is your iMac? The slot loading optical drives of old Macbooks have gone bad for a lot of people requiring them to get external drives. You might have to do the same..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
BerettaMan

Hmmm...the dvd player works fine. Guess I'll have to bring it on down to The Apple Store in Providence for someone to take a look at it. Thanks guys for the help. I'll let you guys know the outcome.
QUOTE Thanks
BerettaMan

RazOrEdge, Early to mid 2000. This is the first time ever having any problem with it.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

If you still have AppleCare coverage on it, you should definitely take to a Apple store and have them sort it out for you..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Audio Equipment questions | Music effects »