New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Syncing ipod with itunes without losing tracks on my ipod

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chazza

Chazza is on a distinguished road

Hi,
I recently changed my laptop. Although I backed up my itunes library on an external hard drive unfortunately all of the music did not transfer over.

I have a new laptop and have set up a new itunes library with approx 500 tracks downloaded now. I want to add these to the 4000 tracks I have on my ipod. I am concerned that if I sync my ipod with the laptop I will lose the tracks on the ipod?
Is there a way of adding to the music on my ipod from the itunes library in this situation? Or can I transfer the music from my ipod on to my itunes library?
Thanks
Chazza
QUOTE Thanks
Chazza

Is there a way of transferring my iPod music back into iTunes. I have a new laptop and have set up a new iTunes library with approx 500 downloads on. My iPod has 4000 tracks. I am concerned that if I sync I will lose all of my iPod music.
Can I either transfer all my iPod tracks into my new iTunes library or move my iTunes library back on to my iPod without losing any music.
Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

What type of ipod is it and is the laptop a PC or Mac

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

Quote:
Is there a way of adding to the music on my ipod from the itunes library in this situation? Or can I transfer the music from my ipod on to my itunes library?
Yes, but the software to transfer music from your iPod back into iTunes is not free. You can give "Senuti" a try. It's $18.99 to register it.

EDIT: And do not cross post or double post. Ask your question in one thread and continue with the same thread. I've merged your posts together here.
QUOTE Thanks
Chazza

Thanks for your help - yeah first time in using this forum and just getting to grips with it
Ta
QUOTE Thanks
Chazza

Its a 160 GB Classic and its for my PC not a MAC.
Unfortunately not all of the music has been backed up on the ipod when I changed my laptop.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Since it's for the PC and not the Mac, I'd suggest this: Phone to PC - Formerly Pod to PC, iPod, iPad, iPhone Transfer to iTunes Software

Given that this is Mac-Forums, I'd suggest you put your Windows PC specs in the appropriate place under your name (you can find this in your profile settings, see to your left for an example of what I mean).

That way, you don't have to constantly remind us that you're using a PC and we can mostly avoid accidentally giving you advice that only applies to a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Gnasheruk

Gnasheruk is on a distinguished road

Not sure what version of Windows you are using, but you used to be able just to drag and drop them.

Make sure you have "Show hidden files" on in your preferences , then browse using explorer onto your pod. then drag and drop your files onto your hard drive. On your ipod all of your files names have changed to something like jh4h5k245hjk325.mp3. Don't worry about this, when you re-import them back into iTunes, make sure you have "Keep the iTunes Folder organised" box ticket (found in Preferences>Advanced), the files should come in with the correct titles, etc. Assuming you had all the data correct on your old laptop
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to handle WAV files on the Mac | Garageband - Creating a SLUR and a LOOP »