Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   Music, Audio, and Podcasting (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/music-audio-podcasting/)
-   -   spotify and airport ? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/music-audio-podcasting/291260-spotify-airport.html)

Hipgrncln 12-13-2012 03:06 PM

spotify and airport ?

I have the premium account and am able to send music to my home system from my iPad and iPhone but cannot find how to do it from my Mac air ? HOW ??????

Bob J

mrplow 12-13-2012 03:12 PM

Depends with Mac you have and which version of OSX.

As a rule of thumb if its a mid 2011, or later, Mac running Mountain Lion you can go into system preferences and set the audio out to an airplay device on your network.

If your kit doesn't fit that profile you'll need something like Airfoil

Hipgrncln 12-13-2012 03:33 PM

What I am saying is on my iPad and iPhone there is a toggle or pull down menu on the app to allow or change from headphones to airport. The same app for a laptop .... I cannot find the toggle or pull down menu.
Bob j

IvanLasston 12-13-2012 03:41 PM

Airplay integration is only in iTunes. Do as Mr Plow says - you can output to other speakers if you have a later model Mac, or you could use Airfoil to send audio to any airplay device as well.

There is no toggle/pulldown/integration on the laptop app.
Airplay in the desktop version of Spotify - Page 6 - The Spotify Community

mrplow 12-13-2012 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipgrncln (Post 1478204)
What I am saying is on my iPad and iPhone there is a toggle or pull down menu on the app to allow or change from headphones to airport. The same app for a laptop .... I cannot find the toggle or pull down menu.
Bob j

I know what your saying. If you have the an airplay capable Mac and Mountain Lion you can do just that. As per my post above

Hipgrncln 12-13-2012 04:22 PM

Thanks as always. Just so I understand....

1. I can play my iTunes thru my Home system (which I do)

2. I can play my Pandora (iPad & iPhone) thru my home system (which I do)

3. I can play my Spotify (iPad and iPhone) thru my home system (which I do)

4.I can play my Spotify (Macair) only thru my laptop speakers unless airfoil

Bob J

mrplow 12-13-2012 04:25 PM

That's it yes, unless you have the appropriate hardware & software

Hipgrncln 12-13-2012 04:33 PM

Am running 10.8.2 on a new air. Can use iPad or iPhone just as easy....just does not make sense to me that the laptop is excluded. Such is life.

Bob J

mrplow 12-13-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hipgrncln (Post 1478239)
Am running 10.8.2 on a new air. Can use iPad or iPhone just as easy....just does not make sense to me that the laptop is excluded. Such is life.

Bob J

Then, as per my first post you can send the audio to an Airplay device

mrplow 12-13-2012 04:40 PM

You can go into system references a detailed above or hold Option and click the volume icon on the menu bar and choose your AirPlay device

IvanLasston 12-13-2012 07:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That option-click is sweet. I have to remember to keep trying that everywhere. It does some neat stuff throughout the OS.

Anyway - here is a screenshot of my Airplay devices in System Preferences - as MrPlow is talking about.

Hipgrncln 12-17-2012 09:39 AM

Thanks as always and I finally get it!

Bob j