New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Mac Pro + Mac Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ruskyrusk

ruskyrusk is on a distinguished road

Hi everybody!
I have a question about Mac Pro.

I'm producing music,working in Logic.
I'm making all job in it.
I have Mac Pro G5 (2x2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon),one of the first intel-G5's,so its near 5 years old.
Nowadays,it's not enough power for my production,so i need to upgrade.

Somewhere I've Heard,that you can Connect two Mac Pro's ,so they could work in CHAIN,merge power,so two system blocks will work under one OSX,like two brains will work on one goal (Logic projects).

My question is - is that myth or true?

Because,if its true,i'll better go to apple store and buy fresh Mac Pro instead of upgrading components of my 5-years old Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You don't really chain the two Mac Pro's and certainly not under a single copy of OS X. There are programs like QMaster or Xgrid to basically distribute tasks to multiple machines, but each of those machines are otherwise operating separately..

If you think your current Mac can't keep up with the task at hand, you might want to consider upgrading to a newer version that will meet your needs..

The newer iMac's have quite fast i7 processors that might meet your needs, if not then the Mac Pro is your best bet..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskyrusk View Post
I have Mac Pro G5 (2x2.66 Dual Core Intel Xeon),one of the first intel-G5's,so its near 5 years old.
A bit of a terminology correction. There are Powermac G5's...and Mac Pro's...there are no such things as "Mac Pro G5's" or "Intel-G5's".

It does sound like you have a 1st Generation Mac Pro.

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
ruskyrusk

ruskyrusk is on a distinguished road

First of all,thank for your reply!

Ok,maybe i was wrong.
I'm not an engineer,i don't understand advanced specs.
I've uploaded a picture for you.
Attached Images
File Type: png MAG.png (264.2 KB, 16 views)
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskyrusk View Post
I'm not an engineer,i don't understand advanced specs.
I'm not an engineer either...or a Rocket Scientist, Brain Surgeon, or College Professor. You don't need to be any of these to know what model computer you have!

By the way...didn't need the photo. The specs you mentioned above (2 x 2.66ghz Dual-core Intel Xeon)...was enough info to know that you have a 1st generation "Quad-core" Mac Pro. There were no Powermac G5's with these specs.

Also...if your current Mac Pro(s)...aren't getting the job done...and you can afford to purchase a new Mac Pro...go for it...current Mac Pros are MUCH faster!!!

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
Adric

Adric is a jewel in the roughAdric is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27" iMac (Mid 2011), 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2GB Video Card, 2TB HDD

Hi there!

It's not a myth. Logic can indeed network two computers together to combine power. It's called Nodes.

Here's a good link for you:
Networking Macs: Using Nodes In Logic

I've never done it myself but I have a colleague who writes soundtracks for some pretty high profile video games and he nodes two Mac pros together for his stuff.

Another option would be to daisy chain multiple iMacs or or Mac Minis together via the thunderbolt port.
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

There are indeed certain programs that can use multiple machines to distribute the work, but the OP was interested combining the two Mac's under one OS and using them as one large machine..

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Copying from iTunes | Remapping Garageband sounds for drum pads »