New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Help with recording drums

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bpublisher

Hello,

I just bought my imac, it has not even shipped yet (should be getting it tomorrow, tuesday the 15th). Anyway, I bought the garageband guitar cable, so Im all set to record my band's guitar and bassist, but I have a small problem. I need a good microphone to record me playing drums. I have no idea how this would work, so if anyone has any idea of a good mircophone (under 400 usd) or any other part for it (such as a midi adapter or whatever) please let me know asap. Thanks,
-bpublisher
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

Audix makes some good drum mics. Most are 1/4 inch, but just pick up a 1/4>1/8 converter at Guitar Center for like $2.

As for getting all the drums in one take...I'd think you'd have to have at least an 8 channel in. That would suck recording a whole song with just the high hat.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
drummaman1

drummaman1 is on a distinguished road

The quick way would be to buy two Shure SM57s.
Place one above the kit, above the snare primarily.
The other one will go in front of the bass drum, or bass drum but facing snare type deal.

Thats also assuming you have a mixer to put all this through.

If its going to be one mic, well then, a large diaphragm mic would do greatly, like an AKG C3000B or a similar brand. You need to take care of those mics a little more thna say, an SM58, but the sound quality is noticable.
Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks
bpublisher

thankz. Anyone know of a good mixer and mic kit that includes: a snare mic, 3 tom mics (one floor tom), a bass tom, and mayble cymbal mics (if there is such a thing) thanks,
-bpublisher
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummaman1
The quick way would be to buy two Shure SM57s.
Place one above the kit, above the snare primarily.
The other one will go in front of the bass drum, or bass drum but facing snare type deal.

Thats also assuming you have a mixer to put all this through.

If its going to be one mic, well then, a large diaphragm mic would do greatly, like an AKG C3000B or a similar brand. You need to take care of those mics a little more thna say, an SM58, but the sound quality is noticable.
Good luck!
I second the 57s and 58s, same that we used for our recordings. I'd check Guitar Center or similar and see what they have as far as holiday savings for drum mic kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Another vote for the shure's...
You can use them for other things as well...

But before you invest in all this equipement - have you looked into renting a decent set of drum mic's?

That's what we did for our first demo... was about 60$ for the full set of mics&cables&mixer for a long weekend (3days).
QUOTE Thanks
bpublisher

oh good idea thnx for the tips
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« making a movie | superb band »