New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

The "Unofficial" Mac-Forums Guitar Thread!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb

I imagine there are a few people here who play guitar in some shape or form, so I thought it would be good if we had our own little corner of the Forum to discuss gear/share pics/Garage Band tips etc. etc.

Suppose I should start!

I've been playing for a couple of years, mainly electric although I do have a couple of Acoustic guitars lying around. Like to play most things, although I would say my 'niche' would have to be metal/rock/punk. Had about 6 months worth of lessons to get the basics down, and then went from there...

Onto the guitars...

Gibson SG Angus Young Signature 'Angus':-

I 'inherited' this SG from my fiancee, after her father bought it for her, even though she can't play electric. So I was more than happy to receive!

An old Squier Affinity Strat 'Excalibur': -

I can't be the only person who names their guitars, can I?!

This was my first guitar, and has served me well. It's set up beautifully, and if I'm learning a new song, this is the guitar I will practice on... Because the Gibson is a cruel beast when you get it wrong!

I've also got a Fender and Epi. acoustic, but they are currently in storage, I'll post up pics of those at a later date - if this thread gets anywhere!

Finally, my amp. Vox VT 40+. I'm looking to get a 'proper' amp in the near future, but this one fulfills my needs for now!

I'm more than expecting this thread to fall flat on it's face, and die a horrible death... But it would be nice if some of our other players would chime in every now and again!
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Chuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the roughChuckoir is a jewel in the rough

Awesome! Which band were you in that "made it"? I may have heard of them! :p

Look forward to seeing the pics too!
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Oh man - the problem is, if I take pics of all my gear - I'll have to actually start selling it - instead of just talking about it. I'll post a few later.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Pics'll have to wait - in the Official Setup thread there's one pic that shows my Yamaha keyboard and the cases for my Taylor and a Takamine 12 string (one of the nicest action 12s I've owned). About a year ago a friend of mine had a cheapie Ibanez and a 10 watt Marshall they wanted $100 for that got added to the group.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Too lazy right now for pics. I currently have three:

1) My old Sakura (Martin Dreadnought Clone)
2) Ovation Celebrity Acoustic
3) Traveler (compact electric)

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Does this count as a guitar? An '84 Yamaha KX5 Keytar that I just bought from a pawn shop.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

No, but we'll let keyboardists join in. That's what I was back in the day.

Hope ya got that for a good price instead of a memorabilia price.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Chuckoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUKE179r View Post
Does this count as a guitar? An '84 Yamaha KX5 Keytar that I just bought from a pawn shop.
Haha, pics?!

Dennis, that's a beautiful guitar! I must admit, I'm not usually a fan of the Les Paul, but for some reason I really like the look of that. Maybe it's because of the retro photo? Shame you had to get rid of it though.
QUOTE Thanks
ned911

ned911 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2010 Mac Mini

I play in a local cover band doing mainly 80's and 90's tunes. Large collection but due to 2 back surgeries I'm pretty much just playing my PV Wolfgangs due to the weight. Both myself and the bass player run direct (no amps on stage) and I'm using a GSP1101 and he uses a POD XT.

Roman Holiday Austin Texas Party Cover Band there is a live demo. Band is a 3 piece without backing tracks.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Esquire Strat and Crate amp
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned911 View Post
I play in a local cover band doing mainly 80's and 90's tunes. Large collection but due to 2 back surgeries I'm pretty much just playing my PV Wolfgangs due to the weight. Both myself and the bass player run direct (no amps on stage) and I'm using a GSP1101 and he uses a POD XT.

Roman Holiday Austin Texas Party Cover Band there is a live demo. Band is a 3 piece without backing tracks.
Huge fan of the Wolfgangs myself. I have 3 of them and 2 of the HPs. Pics will show up eventually. I have a ton of gear in the basement that needs about an inch of dust removed.
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Since I'm sitting here in the dining room and one of my guitars is staring me in the face - I figured I'd take a quick pic with the iPhone and post. I will eventually post some more - I think I still have about 11 or so guitars and 5 or 6 amps downstairs. I have a lot more gear than I'm actually qualified to play - and although I used to play obsessively everyday - I've basically been cold turkey ever since my daughter was born.

Yes - it has a broken string - and has sat like that for the past couple of years. Plays like a dream but never been overly keen on the pickups personally. Much more to come when I feel motivated...
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

I felt guilty with no picture so here it is.IMG_0064.jpg
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

My compact electric

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post
My compact electric
Compact indeed. Almost looks like a travel electric. Those are compact weights too
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iTunes Library file locked | Audible - Amazon - Whispersync »