New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

best alternative mp3 player to ipod - mac and pc compatible

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wrightm

wrightm is an unknown at this point

Hi,
I have both Mac's and PC's at my home that I work with.
I am looking to get a new mp3 player.
My latest Rio Karma 20GB has been great and still works great; but I just bought a brand new powerbook for my travel photography. I will be on the road for up to a year and it is so great to trade songs with other travellers from around the world on my laptop.
But my PC based MP3 player will not load on the mac (nor is there software available for it).
I want to avoid getting the IPOD (I would assume that they are cross platform?) mainly because I want to avoid using their ipod specific file types. I am not quite sure what this means, but I hear that users need itunes, plus they have difficulty using some formats...or can only use apple mp3's or somehting like that. I want to avoid this...and get a simple plug and play device.
Any advice
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

iPods do need iTunes to manage your library and synch your songs with the iPod, but there are other alternatives. iTunes is both Mac and PC. You can use any MP3 file on an iPod, but iTMS only sells songs in Apples DRM'd ACC format. iPods do not support some formats, most notably WMA, OCC and FLAK (sp?).

For more info I'd suggest trying iLounge (www.ilounge.com), formerly iPodLounge or DAP review (www.dapreview.net).

QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro Retina 13" among far too many other Apple products

My daughter had a Creative MuVo that worked just fine with both PC and Mac. It was a nice little player with an FM tuner that doubled as a USB drive.

The only thing I had to do was rip songs that I bought on iTunes or Napster to regular MP3s.
QUOTE Thanks
Samsonite

Samsonite is on a distinguished road

iTunes shouuld reencode songs that are incompatible with iPod. At least ut does with wma...
QUOTE Thanks
BigBear

BigBear has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: ibook G4 14in

i'd say look into some creative players either the zen or muvo lines (depending on your size requirements). i have a little muvo txfm and it works great. i always liked that creative included an fm tuner; allowed me to tune into the local npr station when i needed a break from music.

creative's site for mp3 players

my apple is bling *tisk tisk, you shouldn't have any bling.. just nice things*
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

There are so many different players out there that are pretty nice, it really depends on what you are looking for. sandisk just came out with a 4gb flash mp3 player thats only $200
QUOTE Thanks
johninc

johninc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200

I'd have to say the M:Robe or the BlueCube both I've thought are awesome. Even though they may not work on the mac.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightm
Hi,
I have both Mac's and PC's at my home that I work with.
I am looking to get a new mp3 player.
My latest Rio Karma 20GB has been great and still works great; but I just bought a brand new powerbook for my travel photography. I will be on the road for up to a year and it is so great to trade songs with other travellers from around the world on my laptop.
But my PC based MP3 player will not load on the mac (nor is there software available for it).
I want to avoid getting the IPOD (I would assume that they are cross platform?) mainly because I want to avoid using their ipod specific file types. I am not quite sure what this means, but I hear that users need itunes, plus they have difficulty using some formats...or can only use apple mp3's or somehting like that. I want to avoid this...and get a simple plug and play device.
Any advice
There's no such thing as an "Apple MP3." iPod plays normal MP3, AIFF, and WAV files, along with MPEG-4 Advanced Audio Codec (AAC)

iPod also plays songs from the Apple iTunes store, but nobody will force you to use the store if you don't want to.

You can, if you want, use ephpod on Windows instead of iTunes.
QUOTE Thanks
Harryc

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribiner23
My daughter had a Creative MuVo that worked just fine with both PC and Mac. It was a nice little player with an FM tuner that doubled as a USB drive.

The only thing I had to do was rip songs that I bought on iTunes or Napster to regular MP3s.
What software did your daughter use on the Mac to run the MuVO?

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...ct=10659&nav=4
QUOTE Thanks
bobbydazzler

to further someone elses post, iv had a creative zen for a while now and its great, but the software you get with it isn't mac compatible.
QUOTE Thanks
yorg30

Hello there!
Does any body knows where to get an iPod 20 GB 3rd generation software? I got this iPod from eBay, but didn't come with the apple iPod CD. Is there anyway that I can get that from Apple web-site?
Help!
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

caribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nicecaribiner23 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harryc
What software did your daughter use on the Mac to run the MuVO?
A little thing I like to call "drag and drop." :-) I didn't use any software to manage it-- I just used Finder, and it worked perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorg30
Does any body knows where to get an iPod 20 GB 3rd generation software?
Go to http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/ and scroll down, looking at the right column for the box that says "iPod Software Updates." Click the link and download.
QUOTE Thanks
yorg30

I see! Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
surfwax95

surfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud ofsurfwax95 has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15" Powerbook G4 24" iMac iPhone 3Gs

I had the same thing going before I got my iPod, but whenever I tried to trash something from the Muvo, it would still show x number of MBs free (even after relaunching Finder). I had to use Disk Util and wipe the Muvo everytime I wanted to put new songs on it.

I try to Command+Shift+/ when I can.
They're - Their - There | Two - Too - To | You're - Your | MAC - Mac
I was on the M-F honor roll for October, 2006.
QUOTE Thanks
caribiner23

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfwax95
...whenever I tried to trash something from the Muvo, it would still show x number of MBs free (even after relaunching Finder). I had to use Disk Util and wipe the Muvo everytime I wanted to put new songs on it.
Really? I didn't have that problem.

I'll have to borrow a coworkers MuVo and see what it does (mwahahahah)...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Searching for Audio Analog to Digital Converter | burning cds in iTunes »