New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Problem with iTunes Library - iPod Touch

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Lucibel

Lucibel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch

Hey all,

Long time since I've been in here since my Mac never had any issue. Well, my trusty Macbook died recently (actually the MB did), orange juice accident by my niece and well... byebye. So I was able to save the HDD and I made it external. I just got a new Macbook Pro today and I couldn't sync my iPod touch with the new iTunes on the Pro (it did update the ones that I've acquired through iTunes store), but not all the songs I had transferred from my CDs. So I cannot sync the music on the "Music" tab when I access the iPod directly, because it says it will replace everything in my iPod with the music in my iTunes. And I cannot open my old iTunes when I connect the old HDD because I get this error: "The file iTunes Library cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes".

Help please
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You can only sync from one iTunes library - the old one or the new one. Am "assuming" here that you have re-imported your library from the old drive onto your new one.

If everything on the iPod is now located in the library on your new MBP, this is a non-issue. It will erase the existing and then re-add everything.

If you have stuff on there that is not in your current iTunes library for some reason, then head for the Summary tab while you have it connected and put a check next to 'Manually manage music and videos', then drag and drop from your library.

I don't know what a sync does related to any app data, etc... you may have on there. I'm still on my first Mac, so haven't had to deal with this yet.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Lucibel

Lucibel is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.3GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 4GB 1333MHz 320GB / 60G iPod Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
You can only sync from one iTunes library - the old one or the new one.
Yes, actually I cannot open the old iTunes, so I have to do it with the "New" one.

Quote:
Am "assuming" here that you have re-imported your library from the old drive onto your new one.
Actually I did not transfer the songs from one library to another yet... do you mean copying the entire iTunes Music folder to the new iTunes folder? ir is it a specific "iTunes Library" file I have to move?

Quote:
If everything on the iPod is now located in the library on your new MBP, this is a non-issue. It will erase the existing and then re-add everything.

If you have stuff on there that is not in your current iTunes library for some reason, then head for the Summary tab while you have it connected and put a check next to 'Manually manage music and videos', then drag and drop from your library.
I will try this. I did not see that any of my purchased apps was transferred from my iPod to the new library either, and I have no idea why.

Will try this later on tonight when I get home. I appreciate your assistance!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Please tell me that iTunes is not that bad... | Reinstalling Everything »