New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Tiger and itunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

caixas

caixas is on a distinguished road

I'm still running osx 10.4.11 and had not planned an upgrade as yet. However just found out that I can no longer access itunes store unless I spend £120 on Snow Leopard. Extortion or what ? Can't find a way around it. Anyone else affected ?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Um, Snow Leopard costs $30 (US) and will upgrade from Tiger. You'll need to upgrade iTunes as well of course, but that's free.
QUOTE Thanks
caixas

Thanks,Chas.
However,although the snow leopard uograde is about £30, Apple say to go from Tiger to Snow Leopard I need the Mac box set at £122.
If you do a complete erase and install, reintroduce any 3rd party software such as Word.

"Upgrading from Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger. *If your Intel-based Mac is running Mac OS X v10.4 Tiger*, purchase the Mac Box Set, which is a single, affordable package that includes Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard; iLife, with the latest versions of iPhoto, iMovie, GarageBand, iWeb, and iDVD; and iWork, Apple’s productivity suite for home and office including Pages, Numbers, and Keynote."

Upgrading from Tiger to Snow Leopard requires the Mac Box Set available here.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...co=MTY3ODQ5OTY
If it were only £30,it wouldn't seem so bad but it still rankles that Apple have taken away what I originally purchased - access to itunes store.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

I hope you have an Intel Mac, if so the £30 Snow Leapard disk (you can even pick one up in PC World) will install just fine on your Mac without the need to buy 10.5 Leopard, which Apple no longer sells anyway

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
caixas

Thanks,Louishen,
Yes, I do have an Intel Mac. As I mentioned ,Tiger 10.4.11 is my present system. Excellent to know that you can confirm Snow Leopard can be installed without having to follow Apples's advice and buy the Mac box set.

Many thanks again
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

The Mac Box Set is a good *recommendation* because once you're on Snow Leopard you're really going to want to upgrade to iLife 11. But the Mac App Store makes that possible for cheap-cheap now, so I say the heck with what Apple says: upgrade to Snow!

PS. Actually, I don't think we ever made sure you're on an Intel Mac. That's a de facto requirement for upgrading to Snow Leopard.

If you're not on an Intel Mac, ignore my previous suggestions -- and instead call Apple, plead your case and they might ship you a copy of Leopard for not-quite-so-much.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Duplicating Sound Channels | voice audio recording for newbie »