Specs:
    Mac OS X 10.6.2
    iTune Music folder - 50GB!
    So I noticed that my hard drive is almost full to the brim and 50GB (a third of available space) is taken up with iTunes music.

With the average MP3 file being 4MB and after 6 years or more of downloading music it is easy to get to this point.

If anyone has had similar experiences what did you do? I have about 150GB of hard drive, which I am told is the max for my MacBook Pro.

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Buy an external HD, and transfer your iTunes library to there. You can then keep adding to it (600GB and counting here...)
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    One option is to move your iTunes library to an external hard drive. The other is obvious: buy a larger faster hard drive for your Mac.

How to move iTunes to an external hard drive. LINK

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    having an external hard drive for music is really irritating, especially on a laptop! if you must put it on one, make sure you get a bus powered one.

otherwise, at a loss of quality, you could reencode your music at a lower bitrate.

have a look through your library, if there is any uncompressed files, i.e WAVs or AIFFs, you can encode them to AAC or MP3 to trim about 20-30mb off the file size.

every little bit helps.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.11, 8 GB mem, iPhone 6+
    Putting your music on an external drive is a good idea. If you think you will forget to connect the drive that can be managed relatively easily. I have an Automator workflow that attempts to mount the external drive and then launches iTunes afterward.

I am not a big fan of bus powered hard drives. If I am not mistaken a search of this forum will result in numerous posts from members having problems with this arrangement. even with the drive connected to two USB ports there is sometimes a problem.

BTW have you considered keeping a portion of your music on the internal drive for portability and then moving the library to an external drive. It's easy to switch between the two libraries.
    Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling

Specs:
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    Quote Originally Posted by robduckyworth View Post
    having an external hard drive for music is really irritating, especially on a laptop! if you must put it on one, make sure you get a bus powered one.

otherwise, at a loss of quality, you could reencode your music at a lower bitrate.

have a look through your library, if there is any uncompressed files, i.e WAVs or AIFFs, you can encode them to AAC or MP3 to trim about 20-30mb off the file size.

every little bit helps.

I disagree here, as Sly said, this causes issues. Keep the music on a powered HD, and have a separate library on your laptop, or stream to it from your network if using it at home.

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    fair points, however i have never had a problem with a bus powered, it helps to stay portable really. i do keep my desktops music on an external that is powered however.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    A different approach, just to be different: throw away all the music in that collection you don't really like or listen to.

That should whittle it down to about 1/5th its current size if my experience with others is any indication ...

Specs:
    MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    A different approach, just to be different: throw away all the music in that collection you don't really like or listen to.

That should whittle it down to about 1/5th its current size if my experience with others is any indication ...
    If he bought the songs from iTunes that is like throwing money in the trash..

Specs:
    Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), Monoprice 24-inch second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB
    Yes. Of course he bought 50GB of music from the iTunes Store. Riiiiight.

Specs:
    MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
    Yes. Of course he bought 50GB of music from the iTunes Store. Riiiiight.
    He could of bought some of them no?

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Anything purchased that you don't like or don't use, the money was thrown away at the time of purchase, not at the time you actually get rid of it.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Specs:
    Mac OS X 10.6.2
    Thanks everyone. External hard drive it is then. I have a lacie drive which I use to regularly backup work. I wonder if I can use this same drive to transfer the itunes library on to or will that muck up the back up? I am using time machine for this.

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by CarmaCreative View Post
    Thanks everyone. External hard drive it is then. I have a lacie drive which I use to regularly backup work. I wonder if I can use this same drive to transfer the itunes library on to or will that muck up the back up? I am using time machine for this.
    As long as it's big enough, you can partition it and have half for TM and half for your music.
    Of course, TM will be backing up what's in your music folder now, but if you move it it won't be able to as it will be on the same HD.

Specs:
    Mac OS X 10.6.2
    Thanks Kevriano, will try it out.

Thread Information