New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Simultanious audio output from both mini Displayport and Audio Output port?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

leeon

leeon is on a distinguished road

Hey guys,

I was wondering if someone who already has audio+video output through the mini displayport set up can be so kind and answer the following questions for me:

Can audio be output simultaniously from 3.5mm audio port as well as the mini displayport? That is, if I output both video and audio to my reciever through the 2010 iMac's mini Diplayport, can i use the standard audio output port to provide line input for a further set of (active) speakers (analog would be fine)?

In the case both outputs CANNOT work simultaniously, which one will work if i have both plugged in? If the mini displayport has higher rank (or priority or what whatever i should call the one that works when both outputs are plugged in), and the reciever it is plugged into is switched off, will audio automatically switch to the standard audio port? Same question goes if the standard audio output port has higher rank/priority?

Many thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, Yosemite

The short answer is no. Please read the following sticky post which is in the "Other Hardware Forum" regarding hooking a TV to your Mac. It also covers how to get sound output.
QUOTE Thanks
leeon

leeon is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the link! It basicly answered my question - you cant have audio output from both the miniDisplay port and the 3.5mm audio output port and where audio is output from is determined by a user preference under OSX's system preferences --> sound.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Extract Audio from Video File - Why is it so difficult? | Airfoil Problem »