New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

5.1 Surround Sound On MAC - Logitech X 530

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jamiek

jamiek is on a distinguished road

I have the Logitech X 530 sound system but can not connect it to my mac as it only has one audio input socket.

Is there some type of splitter/adapter to get 5.1 surround sound to work on a mac?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

You'll need a 5.1 audio card that is Mac-compatible.. Something like this: Muse Pocket LT - Sound Cards - Hercules

Those are great speakers by the way, I had my set for over 5 years, and only the the stand off the center-channel busted off.
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Nonsense! You don't need a card or brick. This is all you need, and it's actually made by Logitech for their 5.1 setups.
Logitech 5.1 Adapter
I have that hooked up to my Logitech X-540 and it's awesome!

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
Audio.Trench

Audio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really niceAudio.Trench is just really nice
Mac Specs: Custom PC

Ooh yeah, I forgot about that! I used to have one of those.. however, I don't think it actually broadcasts in "true" 5.1, it just divides the signal amongst the 5 speakers..

For true 5.1, you'll need an external sound card.
QUOTE Thanks
jamiek

Yes the seem awesome and I only have 3 speakers working

The sound cards all look expensive.

The "Logitech 5.1 Game Console Adapter Convert Rca Plugs To A Single 1/8"

How does that connect to your mac once you plug the three cables from the speakers into one end?

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You guys that have these Logitech speakers, do they only have analog connections on them? Are they 3 or 5 wire connections? And am assuming no Pro Logic or Pro Logic II?

That would be correct, the adapter merely splits the stereo source into the 5 channels - no true 5.1 there.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
jamiek

Mine has three cables to connect to the computer/sound card.

I would get sound out of all 5 speakers though? And the red and white cable how do they connect to a mac? :S
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiek View Post

How does that connect to your mac once you plug the three cables from the speakers into one end?

Cheers
Something like these Belkin Audio Splitter Cables. Belkin Splitters

I had the same set up once running through my MB and i had ALL speakers working and annoying the Neighbours lol

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
jamiek

OK so I need the adapter and a 3.5mm to rca converter?

Making sure before I hit the purchase button!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

To go from your Mac to RCA you need a stereo mini plug to RCA cable - here's a quick search on Amazon. You should be able to find this at any of your local electronics stores (and for under $10).

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Sorry its this one .....

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
jamiek

Dam I can easily get a rca to 3.5mm but they only sell the Logitech 5.1 Game Console Adapter in America and i'm from the UK just my luck
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Mate go into any electronics shop that sells audio and you will be able to pick one up. I picked my Belkin Adapter up from **** Smiths in Australia ...... You will get one somewhere

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiek View Post
OK so I need the adapter and a 3.5mm to rca converter?

Making sure before I hit the purchase button!
Are you absolutely sure your didn't come with it? I upgraded from the 530 to the 540 and I now have 2 of these because my last 530 had one! This is what I use on my setup.
IMG_0259.jpg

The green connects to the audio connector on the mac, and the red/white connect to a male white/red coming out of the "logitech adapter."

“If you are distressed by anything external, the pain is not due to the thing itself but to your own estimate of it; and this you have the power to revoke at any moment.” Marcus Aurelius
QUOTE Thanks
jamiek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
Mate go into any electronics shop that sells audio and you will be able to pick one up. I picked my Belkin Adapter up from **** Smiths in Australia ...... You will get one somewhere

Cheers
I thought ebay.co.uk would of some but I have tried searching "5.1 to rca" and no results. If ebay doesn't have them I have no chance.

idrinorbarsaku the image is not loading properly it only shows a small strip.

If you could post a working picture I would appreciate it, thanks!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Playlist into audiobook | I want Audio Delay »