New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Can it be done? (new member post)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

knappster94gt

knappster94gt is on a distinguished road

hello everyone. my name is ethan. i live in a small town called cabool in southern missouri. my apple experiences started when i got an ipod touch for christmas a few years back. i fell in love with it from the get-go. my next apple aquisition was a 2008 model macbook air that was given to me by my great aunt. she bought it six months prior to giving it to me and had never even taken outta the box. this is a piece of machinery that i take with me absolutely EVERYWHERE. i use it so much. (im playing music through it now as i type this at work lol) i use it to make all my FFA documents for school and use it when i DJ various school functions. i also have an iphone 1st gen. its the most reliable phone ive ever had. and except for the screen its the most durable.

i am an active musician with gobbs invested in musical equipment. i am currently working on aquiring the neccesary equipment for a home studio. so my first question on the forum is this:

if i upgraded to Logic studio, could i store all of its data on an external drive and run the application from an external drive?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

The Application should be run from the boot hard drive in the Applications folder for a variety of reasons. The data you create, OTOH can be stored anywhere you like.

When you say "small town" you are SERIOUS -- the 2000 census listed the population of that town as 2200! How many people in your class, like 12?
QUOTE Thanks
knappster94gt

actually theres about 2800 now i think. theres 72 kids in my class. and were one of the big ones
QUOTE Thanks
knappster94gt

but the reason i ask is because the hard drive on my air is only 80GB and Logic, with all the bells and whistles is like 95GB. i can store the application itself on the hard drive but can i put all the effects and loops on the external drive? and would i still be able to access them easily when i needed them?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

I can't answer that because I don't use Logic, so I don't know if an "alias" to the effects and loops would work or not, sorry.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Worthy Sound Effects? | AppleTV is not appearing in ITunes »