New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Recording w/ Electric Guitar

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ZoSo0789

ZoSo0789 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.6 Intel i5 w/ 4MB L3 cache, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 ---- 16 GB iPad w/ 3G

Ive search through threads, but Im still a bit confused as to what I need. I have an iMac, and I just want to be able to simply record an electric guitar (and then maybe add drums and bass and what not later from the computer). The built in amps and effects within GarageBand will be good enough for what little I will use it. But in Apple's tutorial video, it doesnt explicitly say how to plug the guitar into the iMac. So what all do I need?
QUOTE Thanks
ZoSo0789

ZoSo0789 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 21.5" iMac, 3.6 Intel i5 w/ 4MB L3 cache, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 ---- 16 GB iPad w/ 3G

So how bad is a direct signal via 1/4" to 1/8" cable? Ive heard things about noise, too low of a signal, etc. If its too low of a signal, is it too much for the iMac's soundcard to boost the signal without it sounding like total crap?

What about a 1/4" to USB bundle like the IK Multimedia Stealthplug? Ive haerd it works out fine and even comes with some good Amplitube 2 Live software available as a plugin for GarageBand. But at that same time, ive heard terrible things about these kinda of cables because of some kinda delay effect the cable has on the guitar signal..... is this true?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm not sure how you missed this page, it was even the top hit on a Google search of "connect electric guitar to mac"!

Apple - Pro - Techniques - How to Record an Electric Guitar on Your Mac, p. 1
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sort songs in iTunes by Title instead of Artist? | Best Remixing/DJ software? »