New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Can I use Soundtrack Pro or GarageBand to remix music?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rogelyosep

rogelyosep is on a distinguished road

I have both of these programs on my Mac, and I've never really experimented with them much. I need to remix some music for an event later on in the year, and I want to learn how to remix songs before August ends. So these are the two programs I have at my disposal, and I don't have much money to pay for a new program; are they of any good use to me?

If they are, could you possibly lead me to any tutorials? Thanks much!
QUOTE Thanks
mactalker

mactalker is on a distinguished road

If they are, could you possibly lead me to any tutorials? Thanks much![/QUOTE]

Here are a bunch of GarageBand video Tutorials:
GarageBand Tutorials

When it comes to remixing, a lot of it is simply knowing the application you are working with and knowing how to get it "to do" what you want. I know that sounds rather vague, but almost every audio application out today allows you to: Adjust Tempo, Adjust Pitch, enhance Timing, Add tons of effects etc.

If You are new to digital recording, GarageBand is a perfect platform to learn it. Learn it, to identify what functionality you need in your pro audio applications then choose from there. It is quite possible it will do everything you need it to do!

Hope this helps!
QUOTE Thanks
Stef Andrews

Stef Andrews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8

If you have Soundtrack Pro legally you will have *bought* Logic Studio. Logic is *THE* remixing DAW as far as I'm concerned. Soundtrack Pro is not a DAW for composition really, much more based and film work. But seeing as it appears you don't have it legally i'll ignore it.

Garageband is fine for most things. You should be able to find anything you need for it in tutorials on youtube.
QUOTE Thanks
DQCarder

DQCarder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef Andrews View Post
If you have Soundtrack Pro legally you will have *bought* Logic Studio. Logic is *THE* remixing DAW as far as I'm concerned. Soundtrack Pro is not a DAW for composition really, much more based and film work. But seeing as it appears you don't have it legally i'll ignore it.
Do your research before making accusations. Soundtrack Pro comes with both Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio, so no, having Soundtrack Pro but not having Logic Pro does not imply that one pirated Soundtrack Pro.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stef Andrews View Post
You should be able to find anything you need for it in tutorials on youtube.
+1 and it's FREE!!

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac mini G4 audio-in issues | Cost-effective, and portable monitors/speakers »