New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

iTunes sharing question

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacDumb

MacDumb is on a distinguished road

Hey, everyone. I'm not having a lot of luck finding anything recent on here or on search engines in general so I thought I'd just pop in here and ask. I'm pretty much brand new to Macs but we just bought a new iMac since my wife is starting independent work (the 27", lower level of the two if it matters).

Anyhow, I finally went through and put my entire CD library on iTunes (over 520 albums). Only issue is, she can't see it through her iTunes library and we're not seeing anything that will allow her to see me. We thought we'd find a way, but it's still a no go. All music is currently under my username. Guessing we're missing something or is it way more involved than it should be? I'm not too familiar with Macs (hence the SN) so please make it as clear as possible.

Also, a couple of things we have that may make it "easier" (if there isn't just a preference setting) is we do have the Airport Extreme and a 1TB X-HD I'm backing the music up on. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Welcome to the forums!
I tested it and it should work if both user accounts are logged in.
In other words to access music on account #1 from #2, account #1 has to be logged in also.
You can switch to another account and leave the current one logged in by enabling Fast User Switching in System Preferences>Accounts>Login Options.

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
MacDumb

MacDumb is on a distinguished road

OK...finally figured it out. Had to import the library but it's all up and going now. Thank you very much!
QUOTE Thanks
cjroyer

cjroyer is on a distinguished road

I'm confused. Does this mean we can share our music with other itunes users? I thought they were all user specific. I'm new to mac so just learning all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the help!
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjroyer View Post
I'm confused. Does this mean we can share our music with other itunes users? I thought they were all user specific. I'm new to mac so just learning all kinds of stuff. Thanks for the help!
The iTunes sharing option does allow you to share your iTunes music to people that are on the same network. All it does is make a music server from where others can listen to your music.
Other people can listen to your music as long as your computer is running, but they can't copy the music over to their computer.

I recommend that you buy the book "Snow Leopard - The Missing Manual". It has tonnes of useful stuff for beginners and even experienced users.

QUOTE Thanks
haze2

haze2 is on a distinguished road

really?is it possible sharing my itune music to my friends?
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

Only if they are on the same wireless network/wired network. It doesn't matter if they are on a PC or not just as long as the network requirements are met.

Sharing iTunes - How to Use iTunes Sharing - How to Share iTunes Library - iTunes Sharing - Turning on iTunes Sharing

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« creating new itunes account | Garageband with Zoom G2.1u - WEIRD buzz problem »