Advice on the Best Set Up for Music Production on a Budget
    My son has just finished a music course at college. He is taking a year out and wants to concentrate on music production. He is on a budget so can anyone advise the how to spend his money as far as hardware and software are concerned.

Specs:
    2011 13" MBP 2.3ghz, 8gig ram, OS 10.8.5
    Quote Originally Posted by sezzy View Post
    My son has just finished a music course at college. He is taking a year out and wants to concentrate on music production. He is on a budget so can anyone advise the how to spend his money as far as hardware and software are concerned.
    My crystal ball isn't working so well today...so maybe you could give us an idea of how much this budget is so we can help.

- Nick
    - Too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
    - Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some slow computer tips: Speedup
    - Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
    - Apple Battery Info. Battery

Specs:
    MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
    Logic Pro, or Protools&Mbox

If he wants to record with Logic he'll need an interface and mics, but if he's finished a course he should know all this already.

What does he have already, what are his needs and what is the budget?

Specs:
    2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8
    What's his budget? And does he already have a Mac? Does he know any software such as Logic/Pro Tools/Cubase? Does he already have any other gear?

These would make it possible to answer your question, currently there are too many variables to do so.

I went through this and took way too much time to do it.

It comes down to:

1. How many channels of audio do you want to record at once?

2. What software do you like and want to run?

If you can afford it, Apogee boxes are absolute magic. The sound quality is stunning, and a kid who just got out of school will appreciate this.

I advise asking the kid. He should well know what he wants if he just finished a course and is doing his own homework.

If money is the bid question I would agree with the above poster who mentioned ProTools and mBox.

Specs:
    MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM
    I wouldn't necessarily jump straight to Apogee. There are lots of devices which provide "stunning" sound and if he is going to need proper microphones and mic pres there are definite contenders if not better.

But yes, it really is a personal preference from your son, with what he wants, needs and the type of sound he wants to produce.

I actually just joined to ask a similar question. I hope this fits the thread but I saw this and was wondering if it seems worth it - Mixing Music: 2 Audio Plugin Bundles - $425 | Waves

I like the idea of having GTR but wanted to ask if you guys think the other plugins would be a big upgrade from what comes with Garageband?

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm
    Here's a link to an article that I wrote about this very subject a while back.

Building Your DAW-Based Project Studio on a Budget - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

Thread Information