New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Reasonably priced headphones?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Hi all!

I'm looking for a pair of good-quality but relatively inexpensive headphones for my Mac. They can be earbud or pad style, but I'm trying to keep it under $100.

I'm not a snooty audiophile or big-time music producer -- just someone who wants to feel like I'm getting the full fidelity of my iTunes music (the Apple/iPod headphones aren't bad for walking around/outdoor stuff, but I'm talking about more serious listening) for not too much money. I welcome suggestions.

PS. Before anyone makes the suggestion, I'm not going to buy any product endorsed by, or carrying the name of, a rap/hip-hop artist. I like bass, but I'm looking for true fidelity, not overcompensating thud-osity.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Mate Skull Candy are a good brand with earbud/or pad style with good prices.
This is there site Home Page but there actual online shop is down at the moment for maintenance, but if you google them with Amazon you can see what is in the store ...
Highly recommend them to anyone.
I bought a decent pair $20 short of $100 and i could keep them in ear for 5-6 straight without discomfort and actually forgetting there in there. Noise reduction and all that good stuff ....

Worth a looksee anyway

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Stef Andrews

Stef Andrews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
PS. Before anyone makes the suggestion, I'm not going to buy any product endorsed by, or carrying the name of, a rap/hip-hop artist. I like bass, but I'm looking for true fidelity, not overcompensating thud-osity.
Well, that's good. 'Cause they sound utterly crap!

My personal choice of headphones is Beyer DT770s. But at over 100 i reckon finding a pair for $100 would be tricky! I use them in the studio and for general listening on the bus/train etc.

For general listening I much prefer over-the-head style phones, around 50 ($100ish) are the Sennheiser HD215s. I've used these a few times. Excellent isolation, nice sound and a half decent bass. The 205s are a little cheaper but don't hug your face so much as clamp it! The EH350s would also be quite good for you I imagine, at around the same price as the HD215s.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Grado SR-60 (or SR-60i as the successor is called):
Amazon.com: Grado Prestige Series SR-60i Padded Headphones: Electronics

Really comfortable, sound great and if you check for reviews you'll see how highly these are recommended.

They are open headphones though, so you might want something closed if you plan on using your headphones in the same space as others.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

My thanks for the recommendations so far. Haven't made a decision but I am checking them out!
QUOTE Thanks
yemilipede

yemilipede is an unknown at this point

This is what I have, Theyre also pretty cheap
Koss PortaPro Headphones
QUOTE Thanks
steelcityrocker

steelcityrocker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP

I have used the Sony MDR-7506 and the Sennheiser HD 280 Pro for studio and live sound work and they sound great. Both pairs are very durable, have a nice long chord, offer great isolation, and come with a 1/4" adapter. They sell online for around $90 (USA).

My other suggestion would be to go to your local electronics shop and see what they have on display that you could try out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 6 channel/5.1 firewire driven soundcard for my macbook | Getting a Mac transfering music »