New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

which imac would you suggest? Logic 9 music production.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

evilacid420

evilacid420 is on a distinguished road

ok so im down with pcs, cheated me one too many times (im sure most of you understand)
i make music on my comuter (digital interface USB midi set up)
i would like to run logic 9 (so so sexy)

i am on a budget but at the same time i want to buy everything im going to need. which would you recomend:

21.5-inch iMac#3.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo#8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
(upgrade on the processor and ram) which would run me like.. $1600
OR
27-inch iMac#2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel i7#8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x2GB
(upgrade on the processor and ram) which is like ....$2400
OR
something in between? is the quad core worth the money?
i know i want a desktop, im not portable.... and i do what something that will easily run my music life lag free, BUT i dont wanna drop an extra 800$ or over power...
any advice from music producers out there would help me tremendously.

thank you
QUOTE Thanks
Stef Andrews

Stef Andrews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8

I'm running big projects on an old 2.1Ghz white macbook atm. Looking to upgrade soon, but still capably running 48 track recordings on it. You'll be more than happy with the bottom spec 21.5"iMac as long as you max out the RAM. For me, 21.5" of screen real estate would be fine, though I always choose to run 2 monitors, so I'd run it with a 2nd 22", the 27" is lovely, but tbh I find it too big for long hours infront of it.
QUOTE Thanks
RD423

RD423 will become famous soon enough

U can run logic on any of the systems that you have mentioned. Just make sure that u have at least 2gigs of ram. All music programs require at least 1 gig. So if u have at least 2gigs u r fine. But always get the most ram u can afford.
QUOTE Thanks
fbarten

fbarten is on a distinguished road

I bought a new iMac 21,5" a few weeks ago. I'm running Logic Pro 9. A strong iMac is a must for me. I'm running so many plugins on so many tracks at the same time, I need the power. Got 8 gig ram and works perfectly, don't even need to freeze tracks.

Before the iMac i used Macbook, 2,16 Core Duo with 2 gig ram. That was too little. So my advice, go for the iMac with full ram

Btw. If you still want to be portable with your iMac, try the iLugger

iLugger 21.5 | ilugger.com

- Macbook, 2,16 Core 2 Duo, 2Gig, 120Gig HD
- iMac 21,5", 3,06 Core 2 Duo, 8Gig, 1TB HD
- iPod Shuffle, 4Gig
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SD Card Music Help............ | to swashed »