New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Drums?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

luke.bennett88

luke.bennett88 is on a distinguished road

I've started playing with GarageBand a little bit lately, but it's difficult without drums.
I know that I can use Apple Loops, but I'd rather create my own beats.
Does anyone know of a good free or cheap drum program that I can export into GarageBand as a midi or something?
I have used Hydrogen on Linux, but I'd rather something made for Mac.

Cheers.
QUOTE Thanks
thelostchinese

thelostchinese has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: MacBook :: Unibody:250Gb HD:4Gb RAM | iPhone 3G :: 8Gb :: Jailbroken

I was looking for something like that, too. I really enjoy using Reason, but it's no where near free. I know it's not the same as using your own beats, but Looperman.com has a HUGE selection of all kinds of loops for free (After making an acct, unfortunately). I can usually find something that suits my needs.
QUOTE Thanks
allturdmind

allturdmind is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz, 10 GB RAM, 2 TB internal, 4 TB external RAID 0 array, dual 23" HD displays

when i was at this stage, i switched to logic. logic comes with the 'ultrabeat' drum synth. which is useful to a point. but before that, even in garageband, i used 'oneshot' samples. which are samples of like one kick drum, snare, hihat, etc. i would create individual tracks for each instrument (bass drum, snare, hihat, etc.) and then arrange them within the tracks as needed. this is one of the biggest wastes of time, but does give you a sense of how percussion is laid out and gives good foresight into how midi drum sequencers work. you said you have loops, you chop up your loops to make 'oneshot' samples of each sound from your loops. you cant do this to apple loops. chopping up loops or oneshots for that matter can be worth the time and i have created countless 'glitchy' sounding tracks by using this method.

what setup do you have? any hardware? if you let me know what you have i can be of more help, but i hope this is a start.
QUOTE Thanks
MichaelBamford

MichaelBamford is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13'', 320GB, 2.26GHZ, 2GB

Don't use Garageband, its garbage, well, for the non-amateur it is.

I use Ableton with my MPC and MPD
QUOTE Thanks
danceanddj

danceanddj is on a distinguished road

have a look these they have some good drum samples you can download for free.

Free Midi Files, Royalty Free Drum Loops & Vocal Samples - Dance Midi Samples
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBamford View Post
Don't use Garageband, its garbage, well, for the non-amateur it is.
Non-amateur Sheryl Crow will be quite surprised to hear this:

Sheryl Crow - About iLife Garageband - YouTube

I'm not saying there aren't better tools, but I am saying that maybe you just didn't imagine using GB in this way. I know LOTS of pro musicians who enjoy practicing with it to try out jam moves, new licks and other such ideas.
QUOTE Thanks
Liedschatten

Liedschatten is on a distinguished road

I can help you program and record drums for your special needs. Can you send me an idea of your project, genre, tempo etc? I can just record you some loops for free. Let's call it welcome present.

Well GarageBand is a great tool, it comes from German Software Developer Emagic who formerly and still program Logic Pro. Just becaus GB is a free App it's not a bad one although I also prefer Ableton Live. It simply sounds better.
Anyway, GB is a perfect start into a professional DAW and it's still better than all the other crap out there which is made for recording newbies!!

Cheers,
Kenaudio
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipod music | Recording Live Sound Into My Mac »