New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

New iMac user - 2 iTunes accounts

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

texican

texican is on a distinguished road

Ok, so we just got a new iMac on Monday. My wife and I both have iphones as well. In the past we had separate PCs - we are now using the same iMac. What is the best way to set up accounts for each of us? Is there a way to set up 2 iTunes accounts on the same main iMac user profile, or should we set up 2 different iMac user accounts?

Thanks for any help.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Personally would not recommend two separate iTunes accounts for husband and wife.
Using a single iTunes account you will both have access to everything that either of you purchase through iTunes or add to the library.

It's easy enough to sync multiple devices. I currently sync two iPhones, an 80GB iPod, a Nano and an iPad to the same machine. The primary hassle is in the first sync for each device. It should be done manually rather than the placing check marks next to what you want to sync. Check off manage manually on the general tab while your phone is connected. After that first sync, it's easy enough to delete or add the few new albums at a time.

The advantage down the road when you move into having a (HTPC) computer connected to the TV, it'll be easy to bring everything to that machine for your big screen viewing pleasure also.

Probably would set up two user accounts, sharing the single library.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Collin Bl

Collin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the roughCollin Bl is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 27 iMac i5, MBP 13 & iMac 20, 2TB dual TC, AppleTV, iPh4S

You can have 2 iTunes Libraries - when you click on iTunes to start it hold the option key and then you can create a new Library or select one if u have more than one. I have one Library synched to my iPhone and one Library synched to Sis in Laws Shuffle, which i added talking books to.
QUOTE Thanks
True Bassist

True Bassist is a jewel in the roughTrue Bassist is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Great piece of advice from Collin Bl! Never knew you could do that and will come in handy for me! Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to rip CD's un mp3 without itunes... | Bowtie & last.fm.... »