Computer for Newbie Musician/Music Production
    Hello there!

I have been a PC user for over 20 years. Now that I can switch to Apple, I need your opinion in getting a computer for music production.

My cousin gave me a wonderful gift last Christmas Ė M-Audio Keystation 88es midi controller keyboard, so I can learn how to play piano/keyboard. I sing and play guitar, as well. With this, I decided to start having a home studio recording for personal use. Friends have advised me to replace my old laptop for a USB-powered keyboard like M-Audio (been using Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop for more than 4 years now). I believe that Apple computers are better for music production. My computer has crashed several times due to internal hard disc problem and viruses (common for Dell PCs).

After a little bit of web surfing and researching, I am thinking of getting a MacBook Pro 13-inch, 250 GB, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. Is this good enough for music production? My budget fits on this computer because I will be purchasing other gadgets like microphone, stand, speakers, audio interface, etc. It will be for a beginner like me. Later on, Iíll be getting Pro Tools M-powered 8 music software, but for a start I will use Garage Band or Logic Express.

Do I need to get a larger screen like iMac? The most I can get is the iMac 21.5-inch, 500 GB, 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor as it is the same price as the MacBook Pro that Iím getting. But I need a more portable and handy computer, so I can bring it to social gatherings or concerts. The 15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro are beyond my budget ($2,000 total for all, including mics, etc.). I donít need a bigger storage, because I have a 400 GB external hard drive to save all my files.

Any expert advise will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Eli

I'm interested to know if the regular mac is good enough for music production. I'm a starving artist and would love to get a pro but I can't afford it at the moment... But yes I think the Pro should do fine. Although, a bigger screen would probably be better. If you already have a large screen you can probably just project your stuff onto it using some cable converter.

Quote Originally Posted by danko View Post
    I'm interested to know if the regular mac is good enough for music production. I'm a starving artist and would love to get a pro but I can't afford it at the moment... But yes I think the Pro should do fine. Although, a bigger screen would probably be better. If you already have a large screen you can probably just project your stuff onto it using some cable converter.
    Thanks danko!

I bought the Macbook Pro today. I will get the large screen monitor later if I need one.

I think that the regular MacBook will be fine, because most of the music software requires a minimum 1 GB of RAM. I prefer aluminum casing than polycarbonate that's why I didn't get the regular one.

Danko yes the regular macbook is good enough for music production. I have ran everything from the digidesign mbox to the digidesign 003. U just want 2 make sure that you have at least 1gig of ram. 2 gigs would be best.

Specs:
    Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5Ghz, 10 GB RAM, 2 TB internal, 4 TB external RAID 0 array, dual 23" HD displays
    you definately want at least a 22" display, if not two. also, when purchasing your hardware, take portability into account. i was using logic on a macbook with my audio interface, midi hardware, effects processors, compressors, etc.. everything worked great but everytime i recorded somewhere else, i would have to tear everything down and move it. i ultimately wound up getting a powermac g5 quad and this is perfect. i thought i would use my laptop for production more than i do, but i am much more happy being a desktop producer. i did invest in an olympus ls-11 for feild PCM recording and have found that this is an AMAZING replacement for taking my expensive hardware out of its safety zone. hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by allturdmind View Post
    you definately want at least a 22" display, if not two.
    That is an incorrect statement. You don't definately have to have a 22" display. Don't get me wrong at my studio I run dual monitors but for my mixing setup that I have at home. I run 1 external monitor as an extended desktop so I can look at both the edit view and the mixer view. But that is not a gotta have thing. Because when I'm recording on the go I do not hook up any external monitor. It is all a personal preference thing. And I run 17" monitors not 22" when I do it.

Thread Information