New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Audience/Comedian Recording

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andrewspano

andrewspano is on a distinguished road

This isn't so much a mac question but an audio question, perhaps someone here can help me with. I am a comedian and I'd like to find the best way to record not only my voice but the audience laughter as well. Is there a way to connect the microphone I'm using directly into the camera and the sound board simultaneously? and should I just use a multi directional mic and mount it to my camcorder for the audience sound? Any suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks.

-andrew
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

First of all, what camera are you speaking of ? Need more info. As far as recording what you're asking to, you'll need a pair of binaural mic's. Look here:

USB Microphone, Stereo Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Custom Cables and more at Rock Bottom Prices from The Sound Professionals - Great deals on Microphone, Preamplifier, Digital Recorder, Cable and more!

Google binaural microphone's for more info on how they work. BTW... No one does a better Walken than Jay Mohr. Just sayin'...

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
andrewspano

haha yes i know, jay mohr is the best walken impersonator...

sorry, forgot to mention I am using the canon vixia hf s10
QUOTE Thanks
andrewspano

i read about these mics and i still dont get how this would benefit me... how will a mic in my ears pick up audience sound? what do i plug the binaurials into, a digital recorder? then do i sync the audio with video later? I'm confused
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Well, I didn't have the info on your camera previously so I could not give you the exact info. But basically the idea is that the mic would obviously hook up to a portable recording tool which would be somewhere on your person. The mics aren't actually IN your ear drum, they're simply fastened there. The mic's are on the outside.

And if you had Google'd that type of mic for info on it, you'd understand how they work. I'm sorry but you can do your own legwork on that one. As for hooking everything up to the soundboard, that's also something you should discuss with the technicians. If you keep the camera in your pocket with the mic hooked up to them (also presumably with an extra battery back up pack for extended life of your recording device) then it might be all you'll need. You can then just extract the data from the camara afterwards.

Wearing mics as such (specifically those mics) will glean you a 360 degree audio perspective and you'll be able to isolate which ever part of the audio you wish to. I'm not an audio tech per say.. I'm only a musician and have done some recordings with said types of mics.. so it's better that you discuss the technical details with the gents/gals whom are prepping the board for your shows. I'm sure they'll work with you if you approach them in a nice way and it's always good to have sound engineers as friends !

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
andrewspano

what do i use to record though? do i hook them up to a separate digital recorder or something and then add the audio later ?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saving audio settings? | Extracting into 6 Channels »