New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Renaming MP3s

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Stobo

Stobo is on a distinguished road

I have a collection of music, ripped form my CD collection before I had internet access (yes there was such a time). I now need to get the titles changed to be able to use them in iTunes. Does anyone know a good automatic way of identifying the tags and renaming the files accordingly. There seems to be a load of stuff for the other platform but I cant find anything for Mac osx.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Are they whole albums, and can you tell which files belong together in the same album?

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Stobo

Yes, they're whole albums. I originally saved them into folders I made but at the time there was no automatic online referencing so if you didn't name them yourself then you got track01 etc. Back then this wasn't an issue, I only had media player and no portable device. now I use iPod and iTunes so without id names they're pretty useless.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

If you give put an individual album into a playlist you should be able to use iTunes's get track names, but let us know if this works

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

You could also try this:

Apple - Downloads - Audio - Tagr

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
scathe

scathe is a jewel in the roughscathe is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2,4Ghz 15" unibody

you can tag songs right from iTunes, it will do a batch tag for multiple songs you select so you don't have to type the album and artist every time it's done from Get Info

and do try what louishen suggested
QUOTE Thanks
_humfy

_humfy will become famous soon enough

This site is handy for scripts to do various bits and bobs that'll run with iTunes :

Doug's AppleScripts for iTunes ♫ - dougscripts.com
QUOTE Thanks
Stobo

Thanks Folks

Kevriano's answer works best. The free downloadable Tagr is very easy to use. Searches for art work, track info etc. Very quick, then you select which tracks to impose the info onto and it writes back to your drive. Even if they're already added to your iTunes, the first play updates the info.

Gr8 stuff, thanks
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Play a Yamaha keyboard through a Dual 2GHz G5, 10.5.8... | Do I really need a hardware mixer to achieve channel separation with Skype? »