New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Vinal DJing onto a mac program?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

DJsimonc

DJsimonc is on a distinguished road

Hi all, 1st post! I need help as new to mac. 2 questions. I have a macbook pro and I DJ for a bit of fun using vinyl and mixing records.

Question 1: I can plug my mixer into the mac ok and get tracks on, but can anyone suggest a bit of software/s where I can...

mix from vinal as a continuous track for about an hour.
Chop it up and put in track increments with no gaps.
Burn it to cd.

Question 2: Also, Id quite like to cheat and load on 10 or so separate tracks from vinyl then mix them using my mac. Ive tried this in garageband but it doesnt let you change the pitch (BPM) of each new track you lay down so its kind of pointless. Also in garageband you cant add seemless track increments. Please correct me if Im wrong about this - as I said Im new to mac.

Your ideas are most appreciated! Thanks in advance...Si
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

I'm not sure if it will have all the features you need, but Audio Hijack Pro is a very good and versatile recording utility.
Short of that you are probably going to need to look at things like Logic.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

I use Traktor DJ on my Mac even though I have Ableton Live also.
If I were you, I'd go for Live for DJing and get an audio interface to hook your DJ mixer to it and then into your Mac via USB or even better, FireWire!!

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
DJTones

DJTones is on a distinguished road

I use Traktor Scratch Pro by Native Instruments to spin live and in studio. It will solve all of your needs and u can record right in the software.
QUOTE Thanks
DriftNismo

DriftNismo will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs:  15.4" MacBook Pro w/ 2.0GHz i7 & 4GB, Bold 9700

Sounds like you need Ableton Live, I've used that a couple of times for digital mixing and it's great, would highly recommend giving it a try.

 15.4" MacBook Pro | 2.0Ghz i7 | 4GB | HD 6490M | 500GB | OS X 10.7.1 
QUOTE Thanks
DJTones

DJTones is on a distinguished road

I use Ableton as well, but for music production. Sounds like he just wants to plug in and have an interface for DJ'ing. Ableton will be way too complicated, I think. Check out Serato as well, although Traktor is the way to go.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook pro newbie questions | yet another itunes artwork mystery »