New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Poll: which of these 4 interfaces would you choose?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JDW3

JDW3 is on a distinguished road

I've been reading reviews on interfaces for 3 hours. OMG

The problem is, many are 5 years old! I think I've got it narrowed down. I am wanting to use my Garageband in my iMac. It's an OS X 10.5.8.

E-MU 1616M

Echo AudioFire 4

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra

Apogee Duet

The M-Audio is USB. I have read reviews saying USB is as good as firewire these days. Is this true? Is firewire truly necessary?

I'm looking at the Apogee pretty hard; it appears to have been made for a Mac. It is also very expensive.

I'd just like some honest opinions before I go shopping. It's really hard to believe a lot of these reviews.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Well... I can definitely say that the E-MU is out of the question because the firmware is supported only for Windoze.
I got to mess around with the Duet at the Apple store. It's nice but not really for me (DJing & live music sets) especially the price.
I like M-Audio equipment but I'm a FireWire (FW) type of guy. For the money you would spend on the Fast Track Ultra (which is nice), IMO I'd go for the ProFire610. I don't know what all you are going to connect to the interface for Garageband, but the 610 has plenty of inputs, midi and s/pdif.

M-AUDIO - ProFire 610 - High-Definition 6-in/10-out FireWire Audio Interface with Octane Preamp Technology

You asked about FW... it's really up to you what you want. I've used other USB interfaces and they were a bit glitchy and I had problems with latency with too many inputs. I never had problem when using FW. If I could find a 64GB FW memory stick, I would buy it!

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

Make sure you look at Presonus and Focusrite gear as well. They've both got good options at decent prices. And I would venture to say that if you are only going to be moving a few tracks around, USB 2.0 would be ok. If you are recording more than one track at a time, and eventually running multiple tracks I would just go for the extra bandwidth and go firewire. With things like that, you never notice it until you need it most.
QUOTE Thanks
iMac13

iMac13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 3.06 Ghz, 512Mb 8800 GS, 4Gb RAM, 750Gb HDD

I have the Apogee Duet.
It is pretty pricey considering you will still need a good set of monitor speakers to go with it. I use my Duet through a set of KRK Rokit 8 speakers.
The Duet once working on a mac, works flawlessly.
Getting it initially setup working is a bit of a head scratcher as the manual isn't very helpful.
The Apogee is very customizable through it's software.
I use mine with Logic Pro 9 and Logic recognizes it automatically.

I haven't had experience with the other audio interfaces though.

But what I can tell you about the Duet is, although the initial pricetag may seem high, you will not be disappointed with it.
I've been using mine for the last 2 years.
QUOTE Thanks
JDW3

JDW3 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMac13 View Post
I have the Apogee Duet.
It is pretty pricey considering you will still need a good set of monitor speakers to go with it. I use my Duet through a set of KRK Rokit 8 speakers.
The Duet once working on a mac, works flawlessly.
Getting it initially setup working is a bit of a head scratcher as the manual isn't very helpful.
The Apogee is very customizable through it's software.
I use mine with Logic Pro 9 and Logic recognizes it automatically.

I haven't had experience with the other audio interfaces though.

But what I can tell you about the Duet is, although the initial pricetag may seem high, you will not be disappointed with it.
I've been using mine for the last 2 years.

I have a set of self powered monitors. Not the best, but usable.

How do you hook the monitors up? Do they go to the headphone out of the iMac monitor of to the Duet? I was wondering this as I was going to buy everything I "thought" I needed. Do I need more adapters with the Duet? My powered monitors have both XLR and 1/4 inch inputs.
QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

Whatever interface device you choose is going to be handling all of the audio, so it will have main/monitor outs for your monitors. Most are going to be 1/4" outs, but some of the higher end units use XLR outs.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Connecting Onyx 820i to Audacity | More guitar sustain in Logic »