New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

iTunes not allowing music to podcast...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jonik

Jonik is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM

Hi,

I'm trying to add some 'podcasts' to itunes. I have put the files in my podcasts folder, used itunes to open them, but they end up in the music section of my itunes window.

From there I 'get info' and try change them to podcasts, but the do nothing..

I've checked the permissions on the files and folders in question, and they all said read only. I have changed all of them manually to read and write (all files and folders involved) but to no avail.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or a way to do this? I don't want the podcasts to be in the music folder because.... they're podcasts!

Thanks

Jonik
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Ok..! Some progress.

It is the read only being a problem.

Any one know how to change this to read and write for large quantities of files? I'd rather not do it by hand...!

Now it isn't a specific itunes question, it might be better in a different forum too
QUOTE Thanks
boneheadz

boneheadz will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

In itunes, select get info, click the info tab then change the genre to podcast
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

A better question might be "how screwed up is your system that your iTunes folders are read-only?"

This indicates a much bigger problem than just with some podcasts. You could start by repairing permissions.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Sorry, it is the files I want to put into itunes that are read only. When putting them into the itunes folders they are still read only, hence the problem. The itunes folders themselves are fine.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I'm not understanding why you are putting them into iTunes folders directly. This is probably very much the root of the problem.

If these are podcasts, they should be auto-downloaded into iTunes by themselves, whereupon they would be filed automatically.

But even just dragging them in to iTunes main window should import them in such a way that boneheadz suggestion would do the trick.
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

The reason for doing it manually is as follows:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-...o-problem.html

Once the files are made reads and write, I can simply go to 'get info', make them podcasts, and it's all fine.

The only issue is that the 50+ files I want to move from my desktop into my itunes library are set to 'read only'.

Is there a way of changing these files in bulk from 'read only' to 'read and write'?
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Had some free time so started to go about changing it manually. There is a level where the info windows change from individual to '18 items' etc, around the 8-10 area.

So That took a lot less time than I expected it to.

Still, if anyone has any idea about the other itunes problem I'd be grateful!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Burning Audio CDs on a Mac-Mini | Yet Another CD to HDD thread »