New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

What is a free, USER-FRIENDLY audio editing program for Mac?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

fdcampbell16

fdcampbell16 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro on OS X Mavericks

I do not like Audacity. Everyone suggests this app to me but it is really not user-friendly to me at all. Does anyone know of another free audio editing program out there that I can download?

The main things that I would need would be the ability to trim the audio, and use a Fade In and/or Fade Out option.

Thanks.

- Currently using a MacBook Pro running OS X Mavericks
- syncs with iPhone 5S, iPod Touch, and iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Garage Band ?

There's also wavepad sound editor which is free

Check here for more: Pure Mac: Audio - Software for Macintosh

doug

P.S. Don't thank me, thank Google. it was only a click away.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Doug, just tried Wavapad and sort of like it. Does a few things others do not do and saves in Flac also! Thanks for that! Amazing what you can find when trying to help others.
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

When I try to save the finished project as a music file with WavePad, the file is either not recognized by iTunes, doesn't play, or plays horrible static. Have you run into this problem? If you've used this program and saved a file as an actual audio file that plays correctly, how did you do it?

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Which format did you use to save the files? I will play with it after dinner and get back to you.
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

I used a file that started out as an mp3 and tried to convert it to an m4a, aac, and another mp3 and neither one of them worked.

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I started with a WAV. MP3 192K played great in iTunes. Tried AAC and nothing. So tried M4A which is the apple extension for AAC and it works great.

I will try your way and get back to you. Since you are starting with a compressed MP3 maybe that is causing issues. They all played in COG though.

I just tried an MP3 as the source file, converted to M4a 256k and 128k MP3. Were you using the VBR option by chance as I never did in any of my saves. I am clicking on Save As BTW.
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

What is a VBR and I don't see a Save as BTW option. ???

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

BTW means "By The Way". I am choosing SAVE AS and not Save. It was just a note to be sure you are saving the same way. In the MP3 save as option when you click the first OK there is an option for VBR (Variable Bit Rate). I did not choose it.
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

Oh, I know what BTW means in real life, but I thought you were referring to something else in the program that was abbreviated BTW. LOL!!

While you were away, I was fooling around with it and I did see the VBR option that you were talking about. I have never used this. I always used the other option. I am still messing around with it trying to get it work.

QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

I tried to use a different source file just to see if something was wrong with that particular audio file I was working with and the new file isn't working at all.

I think I am going to retire for the night. I am getting frustrated...and sleepy, which is an oh-so-awful combination.

Thanks for your help!

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

I will keep messing around but so far only that file I saved as AAC would not play in itunes. I used an MP3 and WAV as my source files.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Not free, but any of these are worth every penny:

Fission ($32 or $25 when purchased with AHP)
Audio Hijack Pro ($32 or $25 when purchased with Fission)
MP3 Trimmer ($10.95)
QUOTE Thanks
hughvane

hughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nicehughvane is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacMini 2.4, 4 Gb, OS 10.9 and 10.6; MacBook 2.4, 2 Gb, OS 10.6.8

A vote here for Amadeus http://www.hairersoft.com/Amadeus.html or Apple - Downloads - Audio - Amadeus Pro. Shareware.

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Please post your Mac (or other) specs and MacOS version in your post, your profile or your signature. It helps us to help you better.

I'm leaving now to go and find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait.
QUOTE Thanks
fdcampbell16

It doesn't look like it's compatible with Snow Leopard.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« 'Audio File Not Found' in Garageband. HELP!! | Deleting artwork from iTunes »