New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Which software is best for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Andy007

Andy007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Unibody Macbook (end 2009)

Hi guys,

I like making music on the computer and have a little experience with fruity loops on the windows side of things. Now ive gone Mac, i dont really want to go down the windows route and have stopped any temptation to use bootcamp.

So my question is which software is best for me on the Mac?

I dont play any instruments like keyboard etc and really all I need is something that you can use to fully customize a sound/riff/loop and make it your own. Garage band just doesnt have the power to do this and seems pretty basic in this department. I cant seem to find any free trials of software like Logic express/pro in order to decide which suits my needs best. I wouldnt want to pay Logic pro prices if the express route is enough for me.

Can anyone help with their own similar experiences at all? Any advice on which one to purchase? I dont mind a steep learning curve if that helps, but ideally the cheaper the better if I can get away with it, as long as it does what I need.

If you need anymore info please ask!

Thanks

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
MartyMart

MartyMart is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

Hi Andy,
Logic express and Pro can access the garageband "type" loops and the "pro" version does
come with a very large library of musical/atmos loops and phrases ( apple loops)
However, if you're not impressed with the manipulation within GB then you will
have the same feeling in Logic.
To get the best out of Logic, you need to play/program MIDI events and have
instruments "in the software" play them back - so not very automated and yes,
a steep learning curve !
There are tutorial songs to help get you going and you can of course import
MIDI files of parts/drum grooves etc.

Hope that helps a bit ?

Marty.

Mac Pro 8 x 2.8Ghz/8 gig Ram/1.5 Terabyte HD and Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz dual Intel/4 gig Ram/7200rpm 500gig HD - Had most Mac's since Quadra 700!
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

Hi MartyMart, thanks for your response, that's very helpful

Is there a software that you would recommend to someone who doesnt need to plug instruments in and just wants complete free reign to manipulate plug in sounds etc?
QUOTE Thanks
MartyMart

MartyMart is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Pro Octo 2.8Ghz / Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz

Andy, I only really know of Garage band and Fruity loops that offer sound
libraries of audio parts that you can manipulate.
Most other programs like Logic / Reason etc are expecting you to input MIDI
data for programming your songs.
Sorry ....

M/

Mac Pro 8 x 2.8Ghz/8 gig Ram/1.5 Terabyte HD and Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz dual Intel/4 gig Ram/7200rpm 500gig HD - Had most Mac's since Quadra 700!
QUOTE Thanks
Andy007

No worries, thats helpful, thanks Marty.

I think i'll have a deeper look into Garageband before jumping to any further conclusions, perhaps im missing something!

Thanks again,

Andy
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Are you looking for something like Audacity ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logic Express 9 Annoying Problem. Pls help. | Using iTunes Gift Card in Other Countries? »