New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Recorder software

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

dazcaz

dazcaz is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini, 13" MBP, G5 PPC, G4 PPC G4 eMac

I'm looking for an easy to use audio recorder.
Basically something like the old Windows recorder. I'd like it to be able to record "What you hear", so I can record internet radio, or other sounds off websites, and I'd like it to be able to record off the line in.

I know that I can record off the line in in Garage band, but that's a huge bit of software to fire up when all I want to do is record simple audio files.

I think Audacity can do what I want, but again, i'ts quite large and a bit complicated for what I need.

Any ideas? Ideally it will be freeware, but I will pay if it's decent software.

TIA

Darren
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

You might want to check out some products from Rogue Amoeba | The Rogue Amoeba Store. Radioshift is specifically designed with recording Internet audio in mind.

I often use Audio Hijack Pro because it records just about anything that you through at it. The interface is a bit different from many recorders but doesn't take long to master. Fission might be more along the lines of what you are interested in. Each of these programs has a free version for a download.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Audio Hijack Pro here too. Great program and easy to use.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Another +1 for Audio Hijack Pro.

FStream is a free option for listening to and recording internet radio, and there are many others that are either low-cost or free (Snowtape comes to mind, for example).

Another potential (as in "I haven't tried this myself but it should work") option is to install the (free) Soundflower extension, then use QuickTime X to record incoming audio.

I prefer Audio Hijack Pro though because it can be much more selective than any free solution I'm aware of. For example, if I have AHJ recording an internet station via iTunes, I can still hear system alerts or use iChat without any of that showing up on the recording (et al).
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

I really have no idea why, but I'm in the habit of using CD Spin Doctor (packaged with Toast) to record, and Audacity to edit and filter...Audacity should do it for recording, though - especially because it's free.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

"Free" is not always the best answer. Amadeus Pro whips the pants off Audacity, yet instead of being $200+ as it should be for something of that quality, it's $40.

Likewise, Audio Hijack Pro is $32 and has features no free solution even attempts to match.

Free is nice, but people who only consider price as the sole criteria for everything ... are Windows users.
QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

What features does Audio Hijack Pro have that you can't get anywhere else?? I am curious about that one....did consider getting it...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MP3 to AAC difference? | Macbook 13" to mixer to external speakers »