New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Anybody use the little Mackie monitors?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

Rebuilding my recording system little by little and looking at some compact but nice monitors. I used to run the HR824s when I was doing mixing and mastering for others (as well as my own for releases), but don't have the need for that much at this point.

I've been reading a lot about the little Mackie MR5's and pretty much everyone raves about their bottom end and overall quality. Anyone here with some personal experience?

Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
Jonik

Jonik is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MBP 15"matt, 2.8GHz, 500GB, 4GB RAM

You really need to work out which sets are in your budget, and test them out at a guitar center or somewhere. Take some music you know really well, and it'll become apparent which pair are for you.

I tested out the KRK RP5 and KRK RP6s, and the smaller cheaper 5s were hugely better for the style I'm in.

As a recommendation, which you aren't asking for really, the KRKs have the biggest credibility from what I've read, but it has to be a personal choice from testing I'm afraid.
QUOTE Thanks
Stef Andrews

Stef Andrews is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 MB, 2.1GHz 4GB RAM, 10.5.8

2 of my housemates monitor on MR5s. Fantastic monitors for the price i have to say. I'm looking at upgrading my current monitoring to B&W speakers, but if I were looking at this end of the price spectrum, the MR5s would be right up there.
QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

More a matter of space than budget really. I've mixed heavily on the big Mackies, KRK's, and several others so I have a good idea of the tonal qualities and coloring of most of the larger near fields, just was interested if anyone had personal experience/recommendation on the little guys.

Thanks for the notes!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« HELP!Any professional keyboardist using Mac on tour? | Mac Microphone playback? »