New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Dj's and their Macs

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

windymiller

windymiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1

At the front of the Dj booth you'll see a nice new MacBook perched there but what is it actually doing?

Is it their for file storage, apps and software for dj-ing or just iTunes?

Anyone fill me in?
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

It depends. There are the ones that purchase 80GB's of music from the Apple Store and call themselves iTunes/iPod DJ's while using thier Mac.
And there are the ones, like myself, that have studied the craft and learned how to make a club rock by actually using:
- Mac Book Pro
- mixers
- midi controllers
- audio interfaces
- turntables
- vinyl records
- DJ programs
- lighting
- video
and back-up 1TB hardrives with MP3 songs that we have acquired from our "bought" CD's and records.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
windymiller

windymiller is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" using Mountain Lion, iphone 4s, ipod nano 1.3.1, ipod touch, iPod Classic, iPad 1

So it's mainly a storage think, which saves you carrying around the old crates of 12"s?

Have the Sashas, Graeme Parks, Digweeds and Carl Cox's of this world now gone MP3 mixing or do they still get the vinyl out. I guess you can do both together?

I haven't been in a nightclub since the 90's so I just don't know, then I saw Dj Neil Armstrong get a MacBook out for a gig with Jay-Z.
QUOTE Thanks
CactusVideoGuy

CactusVideoGuy is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2008 15.4" Santa Rosa (C2D, 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD)

I too, have been dabbling in the craft, mostly to learn it as best as possible, and sporting the results on family and friends at parties, get-togethers and such, in order to progress my skills... I am not anyone "amazing" or "awesome" or "mind-blowing", but at the least I'm starting to build my setup with a good MBP, a copy of dJay, a Numark iPod station, some amps, and such.. my next step will be acquiring lighting, once I get truly comfortable (not just familiar) with this stuff, and can feel I can hold my own for a good 2-3 hour party.. THEN I'll feel like I'm starting to accomplish something... not bad for a 40-year old geezah.. LOL

You can make some people happy some of the time, but you can never make a PC enthusiast understand the brilliance of the Macintosh OS. Until you put it in front of them.
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-DJ

MAC-DJ is on a distinguished road

I Just purchased a black macbook and i am using it to run serato itch which runs off my numark ns7...and it's not just a storage tank...those are the external hard drives...in my case my macbook is the brains of my operation. and like juke listed there can be many things a "dj" uses his/her macbook for.
QUOTE Thanks
McBie

McBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to allMcBie is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2013 MBA 13" - OS X 10.10

Went to see Tina Turner a couple of months ago and we were right behind the box with the sound & light engineers ....
They had about 10 MBP's running the complete sound and light show ...interesting stuff to watch.

Cheers ... McBie

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude towards the problem. You understand ?
QUOTE Thanks
MAC-DJ

MAC-DJ is on a distinguished road

Wow!!! i bet that was a treat to watch mcbie
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What Audio Interfaces are Snow Leopard compatible? | Need an automation curve in GarageBand »