New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

First time home recorder

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

zaxterr

zaxterr is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I own a Best Buy Special MacBook with a 350GB hard drive, 4GB of ram. I sell Macs at Best Buy

Hey There!
So i've been a (recorded) artist for about 2 years and up until now I have always gotten professionals to do my recordings. Money has become an issue since the studios prices have been jacked right up. I plan on recording an EP from home. What would i need to connect my mics to my macbook? Cost is a factor so the cheaper the better, but i'm willing to spend more if the cost reflects the quality.

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Zach
Don't bother trying to explain angel, I know exactly what goes on.
QUOTE Thanks
steelcityrocker

steelcityrocker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP

What is your budget looking like and how many tracks are you looking to record at a single time?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

This isn't my area of expertise, but something like this I would think:

Amazon.com: Behringer 802 8-Input Mixer: Musical Instruments
QUOTE Thanks
Cdnalsi

Cdnalsi will become famous soon enough

Until we know what your budget is and how many tracks you need to record simultaneously, like steelcityrocker pointed out, we can't really recommend devices yet.

And be advised that the mixer chas_m recommended is not multitrack.

Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3.
Jazz pianist, composer. Click for website.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

I didn't mean to suggest that I was recommending anything; the op mentioned connecting "mics" (more than one) to his Macbook: a mixer (any kind) gives him the option of connecting more than one mic. That's all I was saying.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

I am interested in the Op's recorded tracks. If you do pop back in, do you have a link to any of your music.
What genre is it. This is a perfect place to do a 'shameless plug'

dont you think chas_m

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
zaxterr

Mac Specs: I own a Best Buy Special MacBook with a 350GB hard drive, 4GB of ram. I sell Macs at Best Buy

Hey sorry i've been busy with work lately and haven't checked my replies. i'm looking to spend around $300 and i usually record my vox aand my guitar at the same time and overdub the percussion later. but if the price needs to be higher i'm sure the visa can take a bit of a hit.

Zach
QUOTE Thanks
Chud

Chud will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.5Ghz C2D 4GB 500GB Seagate 7200RPM / 15" Powerbook G4 1.5Ghz 2GB 160GB Seagate 5400rpm

Lots of good 2 input XLR options for around $300. Check out the Focusrite Saffire line, as well as the Presonus stuff. Both offer firewire interfaces that will do what you need it to do and sound very nice.

If you want to spend a little more money and go with something that is more definitively aligned with Mac, check out the MOTU line of interfaces, particularly the Ultralite Mk3.

Apogee also makes the Duet which has premium converters and simple operation for two XLR channels.

So lots of options for you depending on your expectations of price vs sound.
QUOTE Thanks
zaxterr

yeah i'm mostly just looking for something to make samples for booking agents

Zach
QUOTE Thanks
zaxterr

for tatooed mac
Zach Leveque-Wilson on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
this is my solo stuff

Zach
QUOTE Thanks
DocGriff

DocGriff is on a distinguished road

I've been doing the same thing using the Apogee ONE product and the end result is incredible!! I highly recommend it. Look it up.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« How to eject blank CDs that don't pop up on desktop | Using Garage band to rip audio »