New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus ē Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts ē Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

help needed with itunes (unknown artist is missing)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jacksonaron

jacksonaron is on a distinguished road

Hi All!

I have a MacBook with os xo10.5 on it. Itunes is the latest I think 9.0.3.
a few days ago I added a song to my lybrary but still couldn't see it in itunes. I shearched for it in itunes, but nothing. than I chacked the folder where itunes puts music. (music>itunes>itunes music) and the song was in the unknown artist folder. when I looked for this in the itunes sidebar, it wasn't there. Unknown artist is gone from my itunes. I don't know how it happaned. can anyone help me get it back?? I now can't download itunes again because the internet download limit... so any suggestions?

thanks

Aron
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Dont like asking this question
But do you have a backup ??

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonaron

you mean backup of my music? they're mostly from cd's so I have them there. but nothing else, which is not on the computer.
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonaron

Can anyone help please?
QUOTE Thanks
Cdnalsi

Cdnalsi will become famous soon enough

So you DID find the song you were looking for in Finder (in the iTunes music folder) but it just doesn't show up in iTunes itself?

Try double clicking the song in Finder?...(it should open it with iTunes and add it in again)

Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3.
Jazz pianist, composer. Click for website.
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonaron

Ye I tried double clicking and itunes opened right the way, but nothing happaned after that. the music wasn't playing. so yes it is in the finder (itunes folder>unknown artist) but it's not in itunes.

Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I wonder if that file is corrupted? Right click on it and try to play it in Quicktime. Is this an MP3?
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Might be time to get them back off your CD's mate ... Looking like that they are gone Had similar problem and i had to restore again from the CD's
Without expensive data recovery software.
Maybe just maybe try repairing permissions
Empty trash
Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and select your HD in the left column then the repair permissions tab. Once completed, log out then back in again and see what gives.
After that as i stated i would go and restore them via your CD's

Post back with the outcome ...
Sorry cant come up with a definitive answer for you

Cheers

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
jacksonaron

well thanks for all the answers. no the file is not corrupted, it plays with other player. this happaned to all the songs, that would have gone to the unknown artist folder in itues sidebar. when i get home i might just download itubes again and see what happens
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« convert mp3 to flv | reason 4 tracks into logic 8 express »