New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Issue With Files In itunes ???

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

musicmad

musicmad is on a distinguished road

Hi

When accessing documents on my Macbook to play an audio file from one of my music folders, itunes keeps adding the file to its library by defalt which is what I don't want, is it not possible to stream audio files and not have them added to the library? I went in to itunes preferences but could not find anything to modify this setting.
QUOTE Thanks
Cdnalsi

Cdnalsi will become famous soon enough

Hey there!

To have iTunes play your files from where they are and NOT copy them into its library, you need to uncheck the "Copy Files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library" box.

Here's a pic (notice mine is checked):

In the Advanced tab.

Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3.
Jazz pianist, composer. Click for website.
QUOTE Thanks
musicmad

Hi

Complied with what you said but still the files are being added! to the library, i have to keep manually deleting them for them not to be there, i've tried everything possible, what exactly could be the issue?
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

When you say that it keeps adding files to the library, do you mean to the iTunes music folder, or just to the single "iTunes music library.xml file ? Once you uncheck those things, nothing should physically be added to the iTunes folder.

I personally don't use iTunes but know this to be true. If you want an alternative, you can use VLC player and just add files to its playlist to stream if you have persistent problems with iTunes. If you want to switch media players all together, try Songbird.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
musicmad

Quote:
When you say that it keeps adding files to the library, do you mean to the iTunes music folder, or just to the single "iTunes music library.
Hi Doug

Pretty new to itunes, maybe you can confirm the difference between it's music folder and the library, this could be where i'm going wrong?
QUOTE Thanks
Cdnalsi

Cdnalsi will become famous soon enough

iTunes' music folder (where it drops all the music when you ask it to) is this:

/your_user/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/

The iTunes window is called the Library. All the files info you drag into iTunes' window (whether they are copied to this above folder or not) are stored in the 'iTunes Library' file which is here: /your_user/Music/iTunes/

But that's a really small file I'm talking about.

So the difference between the music folder and the library is that the music folder stores all your mp3s and m4as and stuff, and the library is just like a database file (a small one) for all the info to be displayed in iTunes.

Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3.
Jazz pianist, composer. Click for website.
QUOTE Thanks
musicmad

Ok! thanks for the info nalsi, willl work on it.

Musicmad.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Where do I start? | Behringer XENYX 1204 USB Mixer »