Using both USB port and Line-In for Recording
    Hi all, I do a podcast using Garageband. Up until now, I have had all my audio from my sound board/mixer go into my MacBook line-in outlet. I just ordered a USB condenser microphone which obviously plugs into the USB port. Will the Macbook recognize both audio signals simultaneously? In other words, when I record in Garageband, will the audio signals from both my line-in as well as my new USB microphone be recognized? When you go into the Audio/MIDI settings, the only options are line-in and built-in mic, which I have currently set to line-in. I'm not sure if USB is considered "line-in" or if it is completely separate from these two choices. Thanks!

Crawley, England
    20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
    No. One at a time. When you get the Mic you will find it will be picked up in the settings once plugged in (it may have driver software).
    Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

I have been doing some research on this since my original post and it appears there may be a way to do what I want. Apparently you can create an "aggregate device" using the Audio MIDI Setup within the Applications - Utilities Folder. Apparently here you can create a single channel with multiple microphone inputs (like two USBs or combination of USB and line-in audio). After doing this, you can go into Garageband and select the created "aggregate device" as a source.

I'm reliably informed by a regular Garageband user that you can assign a different audio input to each track you're recording to.
    Robert's your mother's bit on the side.

Thread Information