New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

how do I make this work

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

style0

style0 is on a distinguished road

I am wanting to interface my Alesis Micron into Garage band. I've got one of the new 21.5" iMacs running Snow Leopard 10.6.1 I've also got an old Midiman Sport 1X1 Midi interface and the cables I need for that. I tried plugging it in but the Midiman does nothing. No lights at all. Any ideas?
QUOTE Thanks
Cdnalsi

Cdnalsi will become famous soon enough

Okay, let's see here:

You want to use your Alesis as a MIDI controller for Garage Band or you want to record synths from the Alesis into Garage Band?

If you just want to use it as a controller make sure you do this:

- Update to latest drivers for the Midiman interface for OS X
- Make sure you plug the MIDI cables in correctly (I make this mistake all the time):
- From the Alesis: MIDI OUT
- into the Midiman: MIDI IN
- Plug in the Midiman and only THEN start Garage Band. (Allow some time for OS X to see it before starting Garage Band).
- Check your Garage Band preferences panel to see if it recognizes the Midiman.

Let me know if this helps at all.
Cheers!

Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3.
Jazz pianist, composer. Click for website.
QUOTE Thanks
style0

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I just want it as a controller. I found the download site for Maudio and I think I am actually running 10.6.2 but I don't know if I should download for 32 or 64 bit. Where do I find out which one I should be using.
QUOTE Thanks
Cdnalsi

Not 100% sure if Garage Band is 64bit. Go for the 32bit as there's not much difference when it comes to what you're doing (sending digital signals through MIDI).

Unibody Macbook Pro 15.4", 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo, 1067FSB, 4GB DDR3 RAM, 320GB HDD, nVidia 9400M + 9600M GT, 512MB DDR3.
QUOTE Thanks
style0

That worked great. Thanks so much for your help. Now, who can teach me how to play :~)
QUOTE Thanks
Cdnalsi

Great. Happy I could help.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

QUOTE Thanks
style0

Oh I am more than sure I will have many more questions. I just came to a very nice realization. From the moment I posted my question until I had the solution and everything was working it took less than half an hour! Thanks to it being on a Mac, a very helpful user (Cdnalsi) and this great Forum. If this would have been on my old PC I figure it wouldn't work properly without many tweeks, loading and unloading of programs and a couple days of hair pulling. Man do I love my Mac :~)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Tascam FW-1082 and Ableton 8 - Snow Leopard. | iTunes Issues... »