New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

MIDI to sheet music

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

aepuras

aepuras is on a distinguished road

I'm learning to play the piano. I'm using a MIDI keyboard.

I'm looking for a simple application that transforms as gracefully as possible a MIDI file into a sheet (GarageBand does this quite ok) and then scrolls the sheet as you play.

There is a nice free application Synthesia, Piano for Everyonethat has a cheap "Learning Pack" that does just that. However, if the MIDI file is a bit more complex, the sheet gets messed up (unlike the GarageBand sheet).

Does anyone know about something like that?

Cheers,
Adrian
QUOTE Thanks
aepuras

Nobody??
Is anybody using Bandinabox?
Does it have this feature?
QUOTE Thanks
Fisher

Fisher is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.26 GHz, Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

I use Logic Pro 9. And although I don't use it myself, I know it has this feature.

Also, how did you get your MIDI keyboard to interact with your Mac? I have a MIDI to USB adapter, but have not got it to work yet.

Cheers.

Fisher.
QUOTE Thanks
steelcityrocker

steelcityrocker is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.25 GHz eMac w/ superdrive, 1.5GB RAM; 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo MBP

Try Finale Notepad. Its been a while since I've used it, so I'm not sure how "gracefully" it will translate the MIDI in to notation, but they have a free trial thats worth a shot.

-SCR
QUOTE Thanks
XJ-linux

XJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond reputeXJ-linux has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBookAir5,2:10.9.5-MacMini3,1:10.9.5-iPhone6,1:8.1

I'll add that, upon asking for a recommendation here on MacForums, the Finale Songwriter software was recommended to me. I downloaded the free Trial version for my mother who does keyboard for her Church. She tried it for a week and insisted that it was an absolute necessity for her volunteer work! I bought her a license and she hardly ever calls anymore (spending all her time playing with the software). I guess that's a positive endorsement.

"Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." Henry Spencer
QUOTE Thanks
aepuras

Hi Fisher,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
I use Logic Pro 9. And although I don't use it myself, I know it has this feature.
I've been using it for a while.
I know it does MIDI to sheet conversion but I couldn't find this sheet scrolling feature...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher View Post
Also, how did you get your MIDI keyboard to interact with your Mac? I have a MIDI to USB adapter, but have not got it to work yet.
My keyboard has USB out.
You could use an external (firewire or USB) audio interface with MIDI IN/OUT.

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
aepuras

I've been reading about the Finale Notepad app.
I didn't find any statements on the "scroll as you play" feature.
I will give it a try though and then I'll post the result.

Thanks everyone.
QUOTE Thanks
Fisher

Fisher is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook, 2.26 GHz, Intel Core Duo, 4GB RAM, 250GB HD

For Logic, when you have recoded your piece, simply press N on your keyboard, this will bring up the notes feature.

And I am currently trying to purchase an interface that you described.

Cheers,

Fisher..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Free or Inexpensive Audio Editor (for Teaching) | Stream all sounds from Mac to stereo »