New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Music to a CD

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

der_kitty

der_kitty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation

I downloaded a song that is about 2 hours and 30 minutes... it is a house techno mix. I would like to burn it to a CD... MOST CDs are 80 minutes, is there anyway I would be able to get the WHOLE mix onto one CD so I can play it on a CD Player, and NOT have to change the CD halfway through the mix?
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

What format is the song in?

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
dauber

dauber is a jewel in the roughdauber is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook(3,1): C2D 2.2ghz, 4g RAM, 10.7.5; iMac(12,1): 2.5ghz i5, 16gb RAM, 10.9.1; iPhone5S iOS7.04

Only way is to convert it to a format that can compress it down small enough to fit on a 700-megabyte CD. I'm guessing MP3 would be it. (FLAC would probably be too big.)

Only thing is, the CD wouldn't be a playable music CD; it'd be a data CD. Many modern CD players can play MP3 CDs, though. Check the manual on the CD player and see what you need to do to ensure a compatible MP3 CD burn (assuming it even supports that format).
QUOTE Thanks
Kevriano

Kevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to allKevriano is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauber View Post
Only way is to convert it to a format that can compress it down small enough to fit on a 700-megabyte CD. I'm guessing MP3 would be it. (FLAC would probably be too big.)

Only thing is, the CD wouldn't be a playable music CD; it'd be a data CD. Many modern CD players can play MP3 CDs, though. Check the manual on the CD player and see what you need to do to ensure a compatible MP3 CD burn (assuming it even supports that format).
No FLAC would be fine, if you use level 8 compression a total CD will come out at 400 mb ish. Ok this is a long "song" but I reckon you could get it to 600 mb easily.
It will then play in any CD player.

Try my custom Mac Forums Search Engine: Mac Forums Google Search

Please use the reputation system if you consider any help given useful (it's the little ✓/✘ on the left <---)

QUOTE Thanks
der_kitty

der_kitty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: IMac G5 2 GHz 20 inch- IPod Touch 2nd Generation

Ok when you guys all mentioned file size. I was thinking. HEY! Create a playlist on ITunes! So I did, This is ACTUALLY from a podcast called "LightBox" it is a mix of different songs that are techno/house mixes. So naturally it is long.

After I created a playlist, I checked the format of the file by dragging it to my desktop, it IS MP3 and the file size is 2.5 hours at 277.1 megs.... THANK YOU GUYS! I would have been driven ape had none of you mentioned that XD

Problem SOLVED
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I found out how to get your Tascam Fireone Audio/Midi Firewire Audio Interface work | itune library help needed »