New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Macbook Pro 13" 2009 audio in/out

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jobborrow

jobborrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

Hi

A little while ago I posted something about the audio in and out on the 13" MBP on the notebook forum, I didn't get much response, then I realized I probably should have posted it where people are specifically talking about audio recording and the like, I've copied what I wrote before below, if anyone has an idea, let me know, thanks.

I just bought a brand spanking new Macbook Pro 13inch! It's great, time to totally ditch PCs now!!!

One question I have, my MBP only has an output and no line in, now I know I can set that output to work as an input in the system prefs, but my question is this: can I get an adapter that allows line out and in at the same time similar to the way it works when I plug my iphone headphones in? It detects my headphones with a mic and automatically plays the sound out and receives sound in from the mic on the headphones. So is there such an adapter? I will be using a proper interface for really professional recordings, so it's not an issue in that respect, but there are times when it would be really useful to have the option to record and monitor the input just relying on the core audio and not using an interface.

Thanks for reading, any suggestions are welcome.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

The only option is to get is an external Firewire/USB audio interfaces that you can use to monitor both inputs and outputs to/from your Mac.
It's all up to how much you want to spend and the type of analog/digital sound quality you are wanting in an interface for your music.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
lol mahmood

lol mahmood is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black macBook, 2.4 ghz, 2Gb RAM,250Gb,

I bought an M-Audio Transit off Ebay. Dead cheap, fairly simple to use and good enough for my little home studio set-up.
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

I've got an M-Audio Audiophile Firewire. It's cheap, low latency, works great with Traktor DJ and to MIDI my drum machines into Logic.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
jobborrow

jobborrow is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 13" 2.26 GHz 320GB 4GB Ram, iMac 2006, 250GB 2GB RAM & 3G iPhone

When it comes to a sound card I use my Photon X25, which is a usb midi keyboard, but it also has a decent sound card in it. I was thinking of an option for the quick things I want to do. I'll have a look at the devices you guys have mentioned about. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
lol mahmood

lol mahmood is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black macBook, 2.4 ghz, 2Gb RAM,250Gb,

I've also got a Bluetooth stereo headset. I wonder whether that would work for monitoring while I'm recording into the audio line in. Anyone know?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Need help finding podcast equipment | is this imac good enough? »