New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Sharing iTunes library between users

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

scollie

scollie is on a distinguished road

This is probably a really basic question for most of you but unfortunately I am struggling.

The family has individual user accounts on the Mac but we have all music stored in one library. How do you share this one library between all family members without copying out to each account.

We have set up read and write permissions on all accounts but where do we go from here?

Any help would be appreciated!
Cheers
Tracy
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

What version of OSX and iTunes are you running?
QUOTE Thanks
scollie

Its iTunes 9.0.2 (25) and OSX 10.5.8.

Just to let you know that I am a complete beginner and any help will have to be in basic computer language I'm afraid!

Thanks for responding.
QUOTE Thanks
deus_ex_machina

deus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nicedeus_ex_machina is just really nice
Mac Specs: 2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9

HOWTO: Have Multiple Users Share an iTunes Library on One Machine | ElasticDog.com

great article, but hairy for a beginner. I would suggest the last option (Julien) if you aren't adventurous in iTunes:

Click Here
QUOTE Thanks
scollie

Thanks for finding this article. You're right about it being hairy! I was lost after the first paragraph of instructions.

I've just bought an external hard drive so will probably give Julien's idea a go. I thought I was missing something simple but it looks as though it is not a straight forward matter. Don't feel so thick now!

Thanks again for your help.
Tracy
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Logic & Mainstage updates | Problem with ITunes mp3 on pc & phone »