New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

iTunes Music Folder on External Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vfalzone

vfalzone is on a distinguished road

I have an external drive holding my iTunes Music Folder on a PowerPC G5 (not Mac Pro). I now have a Mac Pro, and I want to have it point to the Music Folder on this external drive. I'm not looking to share it, at this point, I just want to know how to get the new MacPro to point to this music folder. I see a lot of articles on moving the music folder or starting a new one, but nothing about getting a new mac to point to an existing folder on an external drive.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Vfalzone
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Sharing your iTunes collection

The following assumes you want to keep all your iTunes music and movies on a shared folder and ensure new music is always stored there, and that you want to share the iTunes library among multiple users

First, you need to consolidate your iTunes Library to a folder you have chosen (let's say External > Media).

Select the command consolidate library from the File Menu > Library > Consolidate Library (or from the Advanced Menu in iTunes 7). This will copy all your iTunes media to the shared folder and link the iTunes library file to it

The library library file (the index as it were) may still be in the Users > Me > Music folder of your mac G5.

If you want this file on the external as well as well, copy it to external iTunes folder, start itunes with the alt key pressed and you will have the option to select the library file now on the external

Select the library file you just copied and now both your music and the library are on the external

You can now use the same alt key trick on the new Mac Pro to get it to use that library file and link to all the music on the external

You may need to alter the permissions on the library file to make sure everyone has read and write access to the library file

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
vfalzone

vfalzone is on a distinguished road

Thank you!!!

Vfalzone
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« FLAC Question | iTunes content on a shared hard drive »