New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Music, Audio, and Podcasting Do you use your Mac to create music? This is the place for discussions on creating and editing music on the Mac!

Free or Inexpensive Audio Editor (for Teaching)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

BedrockBeats

BedrockBeats is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MB Pro

Hi Everyone,

I'll soon be teaching a course about recording/editing/mastering audio, in a computer lab with 15 iMac workstations. The problem is I'm completely accustomed to a Windows machine w/ Sony Sound Forge.

I know there are Mac equivalents to Sound Forge, but the program doesn't have the budget for any more software. From what I've seen in GarageBand, it's really not made for audio editing (it's more for simplified multi-track sequencing).

The only thing this leaves is Audacity-- But it feels clumsy and unpolished to me. Can someone recommend something else??

Thanks for any input...
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: '07 MBP 256GB SSD/6GB RAM/SL <--DAW!!!

Sound Forge... ah Yes! I've used that for the past 9 years along with CD Architect. What fond memories!

IMHO... Audacity is a great program... definitely not compared to SF but you are pretty much get what you pay for (FREE) going the freeware route.

Recently I've tried out Audiofile's Wave editor which to me is the closest audio editor program to mimic SF for a Mac.
There is also NCH Software's Wavepad but it's not as great as Wave Editor.

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I know the budget it tight but I wonder if Amadeus Pro - Audio editor / sound and voice recorder for MacOS X would meet your needs. It's not free but the site license isn't unreasonable. The author has an excellent history of updating the program.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
BedrockBeats

Thanks for the tips... it sounds like there is a shortage of free software for the Mac OS, and I may have to give Audacity another shot. These programs seem to range between $40 and $80 per license, correct??

PS JUKE nice XL.. I recognize your name from the MPC forums! (my name = elevated)
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

JUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the roughJUKE179r is a jewel in the rough

Awww Hey! What's up Bro???!!!!
Good luck on that teaching gig! I'll see ya around here or the MPC-Forums!

MBP 3,1 & 4,1 w/ Vertex 4 SSD | Logic Pro 9 | Ableton Live 8 | Traktor Pro 2 | AKAI MPK-49 | Roland MV-8000, TR-808 & TR-909 | Ensoniq ASR-10 | x0xb0x #911 | Denon DN-MC6000 | (3) Technics SL-1200MK1 | 3000+ vinyl records
QUOTE Thanks
BenB

BenB is on a distinguished road

If you're with a school, get in touch with your Apple sales rep, get a great deal on iLife and use Garage Band, or get the school to invest in Logic Express. The software here is nice, but you're students will learn to "record/edit/master music like bedroom amateurs, as none of that music gives a professional set of tools, it's all hobbiest software.

Apple Certified Master Trainer
bbalser.com
FCPXProUniversity.com
LouisianaCajunCutters.org
QUOTE Thanks
JUKE179r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
If you're with a school, get in touch with your Apple sales rep, get a great deal on iLife and use Garage Band, or get the school to invest in Logic Express. The software here is nice, but you're students will learn to "record/edit/master music like bedroom amateurs, as none of that music gives a professional set of tools, it's all hobbiest software.
Why didn't my school have programs like this??? lol

QUOTE Thanks
BedrockBeats

Thanks for the replies everybody... What if I refined my question to be about ease of use-- What I like in Sound Forge so much is the keyboard shortcuts and how nicely you can scroll to zoom into the waveform, especially for looping. What mac audio editor has the best zooming/scrubbing controls?
QUOTE Thanks
BedrockBeats

More specifically-- I like using the scroll wheel on my mouse to zoom into the waveform. I can't seem to do this in Bias Pro, which I'm trying out. Anyone know of a wave editor with scrolling/zooming functionality??
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BedrockBeats View Post
More specifically-- I like using the scroll wheel on my mouse to zoom into the waveform. I can't seem to do this in Bias Pro, which I'm trying out. Anyone know of a wave editor with scrolling/zooming functionality??
Just tried a few I have here. Amadeus Pro does the zooming with the mouse wheel like you want. Also normal Amadeus does that same thing. Both are very nice audio editors and do all Audacity does and more. Audacity does not work with the scroll wheel the way you want and I could not find a way to change that setting.
QUOTE Thanks
BedrockBeats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Just tried a few I have here. Amadeus Pro does the zooming with the mouse wheel like you want. Also normal Amadeus does that same thing. Both are very nice audio editors and do all Audacity does and more. Audacity does not work with the scroll wheel the way you want and I could not find a way to change that setting.
Thanks, appreciate that!! I'm downloading it right now. I'll report back...
QUOTE Thanks
BenB

BenB is on a distinguished road

GarageBand, stick with what will help them in the REAL world of music production.

Apple Certified Master Trainer
bbalser.com
FCPXProUniversity.com
LouisianaCajunCutters.org
QUOTE Thanks
Zippy

Zippy is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at Sound Studio?
QUOTE Thanks
BedrockBeats

Okay, so reporting back as I said I would-- I REALLY like Amadeus Pro, after trying a few others. The Side to side scrolling combined with up and down zooming is excellent and very smooth! Thanks DTravis7 for the tip on trying it.
QUOTE Thanks
mactalker

mactalker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenB View Post
Though the tools are not the same as what professionals have today, they are light years beyond the digital tools that were available to professionals not long ago.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ipod not showing in itunes | MIDI to sheet music »